Thread: Tripod Head for 8x10 Studio and Field

Tripod Head for 8x10 Studio and Field

Now first off, let me just say, I've been creeping around these forums for a little while. Everytime I google an LF question, the first answer that pops up is on this forum. I'm so severely impressed with the knowledge base of this community. That being said.

I recently acquired 2 8x10 calumet cameras. One's magnesium, one's aluminum. I'm also in the process of getting a wooden field camera. But I haven't been able to really go out and shoot because my tripod head couldn't handle the sheer weight of the camera. Now, I'm young and willing to carry around heavy gear, so I was looking into a geared head like a bogen 400. Is that overkill? Any suggestions folks?

Thanks so much, JJ

Re: Tripod Head for 8x10 Studio and Field

if you need just 2D, then you should consider the Sinar !
    I have a broken 410, a new 405... the 405 is not enought for 8x10 but the 400 is a monster... so i went to the sinar 2D !

I ended up with an extra 400 geared head and your post prompted me to list it here for sale. So, even though this can be considered a totally self-serving post, I recommend it to you. Yes, it is big (6.3 inches tall) and, yes, it is heavy (about 5 lbs.) and, yes, it is worth the hassle if you have an 8x10 or larger camera.

Setting the tripod up with the head level is fast and easy, the exta height puts the camera at a convenient height for me (6'2") without having to use a center column and the camera can be panned securely with the attaching adaptor in the head, but not locked down. Then, after locking completely, the final adjustments to the camera position can be made easily and precisely, exactly the way you want without any spring, sag, backlash or whatever to disturb it when you let go.

JJ - I'm selling a new-condition Ries combo:

A100-2 TRIPOD (6"crown) extends 42-60" and as low as 20" in secure lockdown. No wiggly-jiggly center column ... the trade-off being you need to reset three legs to change height if camera rise/fall doesn't do the trick.

A250-2 HEAD (mates to the 6" crown) is grizzly-bear-strong and the fore-and-aft and side-to-side levers are smooth as silk and foolproof.

Study-up the Ries alternative on their website if heavy isn't a no-no for you. PM or email me if you're interested in talking price.

Bruce

btry@bellsouth.net

PM'd.

I'm not selling anything but in response to your question, I use a geared head (Bogen 410) with 4x5 for architecture where the ability to make tiny adjustments in one direction only is important for getting lines straight, parallel, etc. I wouldn't use a geared head for landscape and other types of general purpose photography. A geared head works o.k. for those kinds of things - with the 410 and I assume others, you can make large movements by disengaging the gearing - but I find a plain pan/tilt head a little quicker and easier to use than a geared head when very small and very precise adjustments aren't required. I'd suggest that you look at the Bogen 3057 head. It's heavy - 4.5 lbs - but it has a 4" square QR plate and was rock solid when I used it with my Deardorffs and Kodak 2D. And the price is very reasonable for such a sturdy head - about $130 IIRC.
    Brian Ellis
    Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you do criticize them you'll be
    a mile away and you'll have their shoes.

If you intend to use big lenses then be careful. I purchased a Nikon 720mm and for the first two years I only got one sharp image from it. It was not until I switched to the Bogen 3057 head was I able to get consistently sharp images. Bogen does not make the 3057 anymore, but is a massive head with lots of steel and it will not torque or twist. It holds an extended camera carriage rock solid. If you intend to shot big lenses you need to find a Bogen 3057 equivalent or pick a used one up on ebay. Gears are nice, but...

I use a Manfrotto 405 head with a Dorff 8x10 and it handles it with no problems whatsoever. I tried a ball head for a very short while and disliked it immensely.

As for the 400... it's a GREAT head but it IS very heavy. Personally speaking, I don't know that I'd be wanting to lug it around out in the field but that's only MY opinion. I have mine mounted on a studio stand, where it belongs!

Cheers
    Life in the fast lane!

there's no comparison between a sinar 2D and a 405 in therm or rigidity with a big camera !

Wow, well thank you all for such great replies to my inaugural post on the forums. After a little bit of deliberation, and a look at my bank account I went with the Bogen 3039. It turned out to be 125.00 (buy it now, I couldn't wait anymore) with shipping on ebay. And if anyone else is interested I think there's another auction from the same guy at the same price. Just pm me and I'll shoot a link.

This has all been really helpful, thanks to everybody. Take care.