Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Zeiss Tessar Coverage

Re: Zeiss Tessar Coverage

Quote Originally Posted by Gordon Moat View Post
    Hello Arne,

Okay, so the top mechanism is largely the same, while the overall diameter changes. It seems to me that your 24cm is about the size of my 21cm, so a Compound IV would be a good match. Looks like you have a flash sync post on two of these, unless that is something else?

A G Studio
    Gordon, yes those are sync posts. Compounds were manufactured until at least the late 1960's, and except for the earliest ones (like my 210mm) all of the postwar Compounds have sync posts.

Hello LF Forum,

Just a short update to my original post. I ran some tests with the lens, and I am really amazed at the results. While the fastest I can manage is 2 seconds with my lens cap shutter and hand, this is something that works well for the moment. Checked on one old shutter already, but after what Arne mentioned on sync posts I think that will work better; though no need to rush that. Next thing is for me to get a filter adapter set-up for this lens, then some more tests. Anyway, thanks for all the help.

Ciao!

Gordon Moat
    A G Studio
    Last edited by Gordon Moat; 12-Feb-2007 at 23:03. Reason: grammar

All metric sizes to 24x30 Ole Tjugen's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Arne Croell View Post
    Gordon, yes those are sync posts. Compounds were manufactured until at least the late 1960's, and except for the earliest ones (like my 210mm) all of the postwar Compounds have sync posts.
    I've only ever seen Compounds with "regular" PC sockets. Was the sync posts a variety for the US market?

SF Bay Area 94303

So I dug my Zeiss Tessar Jena 6.3 f out No 277606 in a Dial Set Compur and looked at it.
    Yikes, the front element is screwed in to a brass adapter that is screwed into the shutter. I would guess it has been remounted in the shutter. So I take everything back about prewar Zeiss lenses being in Dial Set Compurs. Not this one. But is does cover a 8X10. Kirk

Quote Originally Posted by erie patsellis View Post
    Arne,
    I have a 10.5cm tessar, that covers 4x5, I'm not sure how sharply, but covers with room to spare.

erie
    Have you ever made any tests with it? I'm asking as it seems I have the same one. I've tried it on a 4x5 and it works, as it projects on the gg without vignetting, but my film back has an issue and i haven't been able to make further tests to determine the actual sharpness on film.

Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by omnibook2100 View Post
    Have you ever made any tests with it? I'm asking as it seems I have the same one. I've tried it on a 4x5 and it works, as it projects on the gg without vignetting, but my film back has an issue and i haven't been able to make further tests to determine the actual sharpness on film.

Thanks.
    You are grasping at straws. You've been told, and not just by me, that illuminate doesn't mean cover and that 105/4.5 Tessars don't cover 4x5.

I appreciate that you want a cheap wide angle lens that will cover 4x5 and allow movements. A 105/4.5 Tessar won't do what you want. Accept reality and go forward.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Fromm View Post
    You are grasping at straws. You've been told, and not just by me, that illuminate doesn't mean cover and that 105/4.5 Tessars don't cover 4x5.

I appreciate that you want a cheap wide angle lens that will cover 4x5 and allow movements. A 105/4.5 Tessar won't do what you want. Accept reality and go forward.
    I'm sorry but I sense a bit of irritation in the way you wrote. If I hadn't seen "covers 4x5" and also "with room to spare" by Erie patsellis I wouldn't have bothered asking again. If you see my original post regarding this I asked whether it works on 4x5 or if it useless.

So far I have been receiving different replies and the only thing that they agree with is probably the lack of sharpness. And by the way I have moved on as I have ordered a lens.

I would generally say though that keeping a cool head is very important when trying to help someone that knows less than you. You can imagine yourself first starting with photography in general.

Thanks though for all the help you have offered.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Oh, dear, that must have stung a little.

There's a reason why no one who responded to your question about a w/a lens (I think you asked about 90 mm) for 4x5 suggested a Tessar. We use 127 mm Tessar types that just barely cover 4x5. Shorter ones don't.

We've had discussions about whether to purge badly incorrect or misleading posts. It won't happen. Until it does, i.e., for ever and then some, please please be skeptical about everything you read on the internet, including on this forum.

If there were hope that beginners would start at the beginning by reading this site's FAQs I'd write one "Apparently good ideas that just don't work." One of them is that lenses with focal lengths shorter than normal for 4x5 are all wide angle lenses for 4x5. People keep asking about, for example, 75 mm lenses extracted from oscilloscope camera. Cheap, cheerful, won't cover 4x5. People keep asking about lenses for from Polaroid gelcams and such and MP-4 lenses. Cheap, cheerful, won't cover 4x5. And they keep asking about ~ 100 mm triplets and Tessar types harvested from 6x9 folders. Sing the refrain again.

We all want really inexpensive w/a lenses for 4x5 and larger formats. Every once in a while one of us finds a grossly underpriced w/a lens for 4x5 or a larger format. Not often, though. In general, the world isn't providing them. I wish it were so.

Quote Originally Posted by Ole Tjugen View Post
    A little historical note, now that I've been proved wrong (again) about the f:6.3 Tessar:

In 1910 there were four "series" of Tessars: Serie Ic, f:3.5 in 21, 25 and 30cm focal lengths; Serie IIb f:4.5 in 12 to 50cm focal lengths; the f:6.3 (no Series designation) from 12 to 59cm; and the Apo-Tessar f:9 to f:15, 32 to 180cm.

Le Rêve Edition Krauss dossier includes also mentioning of 60cm f:6:3 Tessar that was made by Krauss by Zeiss licence and also 100cm f:6:3 Tessar that was made for aerial photography.