Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Workshop recommendations?

Re: Workshop recommendations?

Has anyone taken one of Don Kirby's workshops? Can you comment on your experiences? I am thinking of taking the one with Stu Levy on the Oragon coast. It's about a 8-9 hour drive from SF, should take 2 to 3 days to get there

Thanks again,
    -alan

Bob

I did the Oregon Coast workshop with Don and Stu a couple years ago. Both are excellent teachers. The year I went the weather was less than ideal with rain and mist several days so hard to shoot some days, but I have several images I'm happy with from the trip and haven't printed every neg I want to try yet. It was a lesson in low contrast shooting for me as a result and Don is an expert in low contrast scenes to say the least. Both Don and Stu shoot mostly B&W so if you do color that won't be the emphasis. Critiques are a major part of the workshop and they are honest and frank so a few egos can get dented but they were never harsh. Shore Acres, Bandon Beach and the dunes (forget the name) were teh major locations used.

Bruce Barnbaum, but there will be no discussion about digital..Death valley for 2 or 3 days, Lone Pine for a couple and Bishop for a couple, the one I went on was terrific. His assistant was Ray McSavaney, A fabulous photographer, maybe one of the best in the world..EC
    Last edited by QT Luong; 26-Sep-2008 at 23:13.

Evan,

I am currently reading Barnbaum's book, The Art of Photography, and I get the impression that the book is based on his workshops. If you have read the book, do you find that to be true? Excellent book, BTW.

Bob

The book is based on what he covers in the Complete Darkroom workshop. Wel worth taking if you want to learn how to print.

Quote Originally Posted by ageorge View Post
    Has anyone taken one of Don Kirby's workshops? Can you comment on your experiences? I am thinking of taking the one with Stu Levy on the Oragon coast. It's about a 8-9 hour drive from SF, should take 2 to 3 days to get there

Thanks again,
    -alan

I've taken Don Kirby's Anasazi ruins workshop that's based in Bluff, Utah. It was a very good workshop. Don's a nice guy, a capable instructor, and an excellent photographer. However, that particular workshop was more of a "photo tour" rather than a lot of instruction though Don was always present in the field to instruct and there was some classroom stuff, usually right before the portfolio reviews. Unless Don's changed since I took the workshop (which was about three or four years ago) he doesn't print digitally, at the time I took his workshop he still used a darkroom. I believe his Oregon coast workshop is based in Shore Acres, which is a great area for photography.
    Brian Ellis
    Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you do criticize them you'll be
    a mile away and you'll have their shoes.

This is the schedule for Don's Workshop in Jackson Hole this summer.

Day 1 –
    Morning – Introductions
    Afternoon – Field Session
    Day 2 –
    Morning – Darkroom Demonstration
    Afternoon – Field Session
    Day 3 –
    Morning – Field Session
    Afternoon – Negative Development
    Day 4 –
    Darkroom work and Critiques
    Day 5 –
    Darkroom work and Critiques

If you have any questions regarding the workshop, or any of the other workshops we are running this summer, I'll be happy to answer them.

Thomas Stimpson
    Jackson Hole Workshops
    www.jacksonholeworkshops.org

Another vote for Kerik - a tutor who is keen to share his knowledge rather than protect it! A very nice chap indeed! Just take a look at his website - I think it speaks for itself!