Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Yes, but, is it photography??

Re: Yes, but, is it photography??

Photography? not to me. Art most definitely.

As you know Chris, I'm a big fan of yours, so please take my comments in the light they are intended, someone who respects your work and obvious talent but has a few quibbles with your new work.

I'm sure these will be successful, they will sell. They are in the same vein as Warhols soup can. The concept is clear, and I have no doubt they look great, but i think the aesthetic - the philosophy, is a bit glib. You could repeat this idea with different objects ad nauseum, but what does the viewer get? IMO just a picture representative of a statistic, the art version of a pie chart. As a viewer I can't take anything else from these, I can't investigate my feelings apart from a 'yup, thats bad'.
    Unlike your earlier work, there is no way i can 'play' with these images (in the modernist sense). I get them, then move on.
    I often visit your site and look at your work - I 'get' something more each time as your images invite a close contemplation over time. With these, I don't think I can as i don't think there is anything to 'get' beyond your very clear explanations, and a tip of the hat to your intelligence and sense of humour.
    As I said, I'm sure they are immaculate and will sell well, but i can't help thinking that this is a postmodern hole that is hard to get out of

Photography?

It has a component definetly.
    I woldn't be concerned with that problem, you are growing immensely as an artist and now you are willing to explore new venues.
    It takes guts and bravo to you.
    I feel the impact is there, and you still come through at your best when color is involved.
    The images of the containers and prison uniforms are striking, I don't go crazy for the B/W's but overall, Chris, beautiful and important work.

Very good and like it very much!
    Good luck with the sales to. Armin

Thanks for the link to your site

As to the question as to whether or not it's photography - yes it is

As to the message - very well done

I just read an article in Invention & Technology that showed a pile of cellphones awaiting recycling - similar to your shots - maybe it was yours? In any event it gave the visual impression as to how much e-waste is going on & will only continue even more so.

Congrats on a well done theme & photography & the best of luck with wherever you take it.

Regards

Sorry, but here goes the flames.

Quote Originally Posted by shadow images View Post
    Photography? not to me. Art most definitely.
    Agreed. I feel kinda like the NY cabbie in "Curious George" the movie. Yep. Seen it. It evokes no emotion whatsoever. It is graphic art. Period. Computer generated. A project any high-school student is capable of, given Photoshop and the time. IIRC there was same basic style work done in mid-late seventies. In particular the cans. Oh yeah, and a gorgeous landscape, from twenty feet away. Garbage (literally) up close. Another NY piece of art-work.

I love your photo work. It boasts of a skill level to attempt to attain. It gives reasons to continue going back for a second look. "How did he do that?" "What was light, lens, filters, time-of-day, etc etc etc"

But all art is not photo, and all photo is not art.

Smile Re: Yes, but, is it photography??

Depicting 106,000 aluminum cans, equal to the number of cans consumed in the US every thirty seconds.
    Oh man, that's the hard way to get your daily fiber.

Hi guys, thanks for all of your interesting thoughts. Julian, your comment raises one of the issues that is difficult for this series, which is that the pieces have a drastically different effect in person than they do on the web. The little JPEGs give you a general sense of how they will look in person, but it's like the difference between watching a movie on the big screen versus seeing it on an iPod. For that reason I had some reservations about putting this series up on the web at all, but I decided to to it because it will reach people who might be interested in seeing (or arranging) an exhibition. Judging them from the little web images unfortunately misses the real essence of what they are about, which can only be experienced in person, but that's a limitation of this project that I'll have to deal with.

best,

~cj

Abuser of God's Sunlight

Yeah, I wouldn't want to blab too much about these without seeing them in person. Your website sketches the idea, but this work is obviously going to be about first-person experience. I'd very much like to see them in person, based on the sneak preview.

But without having seen them, I'd be inclined to think of them as conceptual art that uses photography. Depending on the scale and the presentation, they might even end up feeling like installation pieces.

But I don't know how much is to be gained by worrying about categories. I'm more interested in looking at what the work tries to say, how it says it, and what the experience of looking at it is like. Unless you enjoy mulling over categories for its own sake, I'd let the curators worry about what shelf to put them on.

Finally, as a graphic designer (day job) I'd be quick to dismiss the idea that this work is graphic design. Graphic design is a commecial pursuit, done for hire to communicate clients' ideas and sell their products and services. This work is personal; it explores your own concerns, and by its nature is anti-commercial, not commercial.

Nicely executed but it's just predictable liberal dogma. Can the Guantanamo Bay and Global Warming pieces be far behind?

In the end it won't move people but only preaches to the chior. You need more of an edge if you're going to promote your brand of propaganda.