Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: "Gonzo Color"

"Gonzo Color"

I recently attended a workshop where we were asked to bring along a portfolio of our recent work. Some of my color prints were rather harshly critisized (albit mainly by the b&w folk) for being "too saturated" especially with the greens. Most of these images were taken with Carl Ziess lenses (I've been migrating from medium format to LF) with Fuji Velvia 50 and 100 film (which I know is reputed to emphasize the greens---green box you know). Most of the images were not really pumped up as far as the saturation was concerned in Photoshop. I've been told that the Ziess lenses tend to have more brilliant and more saturated colors than the commonly used LF lenses like, say the Schneiders. Does the color rendition significantly vary among various lenses brands?

Re: "Gonzo Color"

Well, I've used Rollei's Zeiss Planar for the 6008i as well as LF lenses from Fujinon and Rodenstock and I can't tell any difference with respect to colour rendition. As per black and white photographers criticizing your saturated photographs, well, never be disheartened by the old geezers. More than likely you wouldn't like what they produce either.

From my experience, I'd say the so-called short answer is, "No".

But, the longer answer is "Maybe". That is, the difference in color rendition between brands, where the lenses are of the same vintage, will be very subtle. Differences between uncoated, single-coated, and multi-coated may be more apparent, but often due to flare that wasn't noticed or considered (and thus not properly shaded) when the exposure was made.

Specialty lenses (Verito, Veritar, Heliar, etc.) that produce a special look fall into a separate category, I think.

There can be subtle differences, but they are small compared to film choice, and Velvia is just a highly saturated film (or group of films).

No, but the color rendition significantly varies between printing methods and workflows.
    Thanks,
    Kirk

at age 73:
    "The woods are lovely, dark and deep,
    But I have promises to keep,
    And miles to go before I sleep,
    And miles to go before I sleep"

Quote Originally Posted by Kirk Gittings View Post
    No, but the color rendition significantly varies between printing methods and workflows.
    And how the color is adjusted (hopefully as close as possible to the original) by whomever is doing the digital work.

Rich
    Richard A. Nelridge

http://www.nelridge.com

Hi Don, no it's definitely not your lens. I suspect that it's a Photoshop issue. When correcting a scan, it is easy to accidentally increase the saturation of all of the colors. Curves adjustments that aren't intended to affect the color should all be put in "Luminosity" mode; otherwise they may inadvertently pop your colors. Then when you want to do something to the color, put that layer in "color" mode so it doesn't affect the brightness/darkness of the image. Does that make sense?

Another thing to consider is your display. When I finally acquired a GMB Eye-1 Display, life got a little easier.

If you use Velvia and your prints look anything like your transparencies then you really only need to worry if the B&W folk DON'T take you to the woodshed

Quote Originally Posted by Don Kellogg View Post
    Some of my color prints were rather harshly critisized (albit mainly by the b&w folk) for being "too saturated" especially with the greens. ... Does the color rendition significantly vary among various lenses brands?
    It's not the lenses.

In my work with color (all negatives, mostly 160PortaVC) I've found that I normally have to desaturate my images some just to get the colors inside the gamut of my printer/ink/substrate. If you do a gamut check in Photoshop (you have to set up softproofing [View...Proof Setup...Custom] to do this) you can pretty rapidly see the out-of-gamut colors in your file.

If I don't do this I sometimes get what I call "clown colors" which, while interesting, do tend to cross that boundry between plausable and implausable.

Two other things. First, almost any color film has a larger gamut than just about any print system. In general, the more saturated films just exceed what the various printing methods can handle by more than less saturated films.

Second, most colors in nature aren't very saturated. But research has shown that humans tend to like more saturated colors in their prints. This is at least partly responsible for the saturation level in modern films, and for the range of saturations available.

I don't have any idea if any of this is helpful to you. It's just something to think about.

Bruce Watson