Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Film for Pyro Development for Alt Process

Re: Film for Pyro Development for Alt Process

For a good off-the-shelf developer you can't go wrong with pyrocat. Photograpers Formulary sells it and it really is wonderful stuff. Get their version mixed with glycol, as shelf life is much better than the water mixed stuff. ABC pyro is a great developer, but it is pretty picky with the mixture and use. Pyrocat does what you need, little or no general stain, great contrast potential and ease of use. It is versatile, cheap, easy and very forgiving, unlike ABC or PMK.

If you need lots of contrast for alternative process, take a look at Efke 25, it has more than you will need. Efke 100 will do most of it, unless you need huge amounts of contrast potential in a very flat scene. tim

PMK works fine for alt processes. Many people use it very successfully.

steve simmons

Quote Originally Posted by steve simmons View Post

steve simmons
    As many others have pointed out, PMK produces too much B+F density for alternative process printing. PMK is a good developer for film targeted for printing gelatin silver but not for UV printing processes.

Don Bryant

Quote:
    Originally Posted by steve simmons

steve simmons

As many others have pointed out, PMK produces too much B+F density for alternative process printing. PMK is a good developer for film targeted for printing gelatin silver but not for UV printing processes.

Don Bryant

As I said, I know many successful alt process printers who like and use PMK.

steve simmons

Efke 25 performs very well in pyrocat-hd for kallitype printing. I also like HP5 and FP4 also both in pyrocat. I'll be trying the newest version of TMY whenever I can get my hands on some...before my esteemed colleague does .

Quote:
    Originally Posted by steve simmons

steve simmons

Don Bryant

As I said, I know many successful alt process printers who like and use PMK.

steve simmons
    Okay, like who?

Don Bryant

No thanks. I once responded to such a request and gave names only to have the people vilified. I have lots of contacts from 20 years of publishing View Camera. Not everyone wants there name listed on this forum or wants to be treated like some seem inclined to treat those that they disagree with.

I am not saying PMK is the only staining developer to use, etc., etc., etc. I am simply saying that many alt process people use it. For example, HP5+ and PMK is not a good choice because of the high base fog, but other films such as Tri-X and FP4+ have much less base fog and work better.

Done.

steve simmons

No thanks. I once responded to such a request and gave names only to have the people vilified. I have lots of contacts from 20 years of publishing View Camera. Not everyone wants there name listed on this forum or wants to be treated like some seem inclined to treat those that they disagree with.

I am not saying PMK is the only staining developer to use, etc., etc., etc. I am simply saying that many alt process people use it. For example, HP5+ and PMK is not a good choice because of the high base fog, but other films such as Tri-X and FP4+ have much less base fog and work better.

Done.

steve simmons
    As per usual, you duck when your incorrect information is challenged...

Dear Don and Don,

All I have said is that there are people doing alt process using PMK. I have not said it is the only staining developer to use or that it is the best one. I even gave an example of when it doesn't work well such as with HP5+.

Nothing personal with me, I just want to pass on accurate info so that people know what can be possible. No absolutes either.

steve simmons

Dave Karp

I have a friend who makes beautiful Alt Process prints from negatives that he develops in D-76. Should he use a staining developer instead? He does not think so.

I have been told that the 2 bath developer that I use will not result in an image on film, much less a printable negative (by a chemist no less!). Yet, I do get negatives that I print from this formula and am very happy with it.

Some people love PMK. Other people did not like it and were driven to develop their own formula (Barry Thornton and dixactol for example). So what?

Why does it bother some of us if others don't do what they do? Isn't there is more than one way? Why the attacks?