Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Your blogs/websites/promo's

Smile Your blogs/websites/promo's

Hey everyone,

Thought I might ask. Of the people here who do, how do you promote yourself?

Do you have blogs/websites etc?

Any other members here who are non-commercial but have blogs and websites?

I stick all my photo's up on http://blog.myspace.com/second_belated with a list of entries at http://www.myspace.com/second_belated but mainly I shoot small-format.

So what do you lot do with all your photo's?

Eric Biggerstaff

Re: Your blogs/websites/promo's

I have a website, but I don't promote very much (not enough time)
    Eric Biggerstaff

www.ericbiggerstaff.com

My websites haven't consciously been put up as commercial ventures as it were - they started as ways to share my work for discussion with groups of other photographers (etc) who were either working on similar projects or who had valuable input or comment

Some blogs certainly seem aimed at the commercial/promotional things (such as theonlinephotogrpaher) My new blog started this year was really more of an enjoyable activity than anything. What's surprised me is the spin off - in terms of people conacting me about my work, or a number of highly respected photographers and critics contacting off-blog and continuing the dialogue - in less than a month

http://photo-muse.blogspot.com/

So I could see that if done right, it could be quite a powerful tool
    You'd be amazed how small the demand is for pictures of trees... - Fred Astaire to Audrey Hepburn

www.photo-muse.blogspot.com blog

I do direct mail of postcards and e-mails to get potential clients to visit my web portfolio. I also maintain a blob (I call it 'Musings') to get the search engines to see changes and links.

I use 4by6 in California to print my postcards. They are a little more expensive, but their satin finish is worth the extra price. Their turn around time on a job is excellent.

http://www.walterpcalahan.com

Hope that is helpful.

Remember, Tide is the same old stuff for decades, but it's advertised over and over and over again as if know one has heard of the stuff. The same thing has to be done with our photography.

I don't blog everyday or talk about my navel but it is a great way to promote my businesses and get clients. Regularly updated sites also seem to perform better in search engines and they provide the viewers a reason to revisit the site. I've gotten all of my photo work over the last three years from the website. I also keep a stack of postcards for leave behinds and infreqent mailings, and I pretend to have a couple of print portfolios although the web galleries seem to do just fine. I also am experimenting with Print on Demand portfolio books -- sharedink.com works pretty well.

I am probably going to do short run promos off my own inkjet printers on a onesey-twosey basis for targeted clients. I have a couple of large lists but I have narrowed them down to just a handful of people at ad agencies and design studios whom I think I'd work well with.

I am not a full-time photographer (I was 15 years ago though) and I don't want to do general purpose generic photography ever again. But I would like to do more photography on my own terms and I realize that it will be several years to build up enough momentum to do that.

I need to blog more on the marketing side of my main business, http://www.cleanpage.com but I set it up the same way as my photo website. Frankly, on that side I have to be a little more corporate and restrained -- no boobies or swear words -- and I already have decent clients, so I don't write as often.

everything of mine is at www.davidbram.com

I'm not a commercial or professional photographer, it's a lifelong, part-time personal interest and I use my Website for a variety of interests because after 28 years with the USGS I get to say and do what I want on the Web.

I would add to the choir to consider your own Website. I noticed MySpace (and yes I have one too for daily observations, rants, raves, and stupid thoughts and visit friends' MySpaces) is too slow loading with all their junk associated with their design. And another suggestion, think about fewer images on some pages, slow or long downloads only aggrevate users who usually leave before it's done.

And most of my photos are still sitting around in those little yellow boxes, a few on the light table and a few more waiting to be scanned. Good luck. And David Bram, I like the photos, thanks.
    --Scott--

Scott M. Knowles, MS-Geography
    scott@wsrphoto.com

"All things merge into one, and a river flows through it."
    - Norman MacLean

Quote Originally Posted by Ash View Post
    So what do you lot do with all your photo's?
    That is a large question from my side of the screen!

I have a photo-blog that I put up at CameraArtist.com, but I find it difficult to keep up with it as much as I would like to. I also have a web site I designed for print purchases at photoscapes.com. All in all, I simply run out of time to be able to put up as many images as I would like to. These projects are in the making all the time. I have sold some prints through the sites and made a few interesting photographer contacts so I guess all the work does pay-off. Every photographer should at least have a photo-blog!

From my perspective, I think the promotional methods one might use should depend on the market one wishes to target. For example, "collectors" might find the additional insight into the "soul" of the artist provided by a blog to be interesting, and thus conducive to additional sales. In contrast, a commercial client probably isn't interested, and may, in fact, be put off by the personal information disclosed in a blog.

Get a flash for shooting interiors with a speed graphic and photograph all the filthy lavatories you can at bus stations. Send the prints to Greyhound or Trailways "corporate" with a note that you're looking for work and you'll have to publish the pix for cash if you can't find a job soon...and...presto! You've landed a national bus company as your first account! Follow up with lavs of BP, Burger King, the Boston Subway, The National Parks, Caliente Race track in TJ, and the NY Port of Authority and international fame and commercial success will surely be yours. Don't forget to send 10% (off the gross) to me for this great advice
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White