Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: The Century "Semi-Centennial" stand

Re: The Century "Semi-Centennial" stand

I have one of the Semi-Centennial camera stands that has been painted white. I acquired it from my father who acquired it from his father. I am tired of storing it and am considering selling it along with some lenses and shutter.
    Do you know what today's value should be for this camera stand? It is not in pristine shape, but could be cleaned and restored easily. I do not know if it is light tight, but it should be.

multiplex

hi doug

after "googling-about"
    i found some information regarding the camera stand and the century camera company ..
    the century camera company was incorporated in ny state in 1901
    but they were not the original makers of the camera stand.

according to "the photographic times and american photographer"
    a book i found in google books edited by wi lincoln adams in 1890
    ( volume xx, published by the photographic times publishing association in ny )

info on the the semi centennial stand can be found on page 181 -
    it says: " the semi centennial camera stand invented by e.c. fisher and sold by c.h. codman & company,
    is worthy description in this column. it is called ' the camera stand of the future'
    and twelve reasons are given why the professional photographer should adopt it.

they are as follows:

first, because you can lower the camera within thirteen inches of the floor,
    this being lower than any other stand will admit of.

second, because you can raise the camera as high as you wish.

third, because it is the only camera stand using rubber wheels as casters,
    therefore it is perfectly noiseless.

fourth. because it has one of the best turning castors in use.

fifth, by the use of its coiling springs and key, you can make it counterbalance any weight of camera, from 8x10 to 14x17 inclusive.

sixth, because you can quickly adjust your camera up or down with perfect ease.

seventh, because it is very strong and rigid.

eighth, because it is simple in construction and will not get out of order.

ninth, because it is thoroughly made, of neat design, light with no heavy weights.
    it is an ornament to the studio.

tenth, because with ease of working you will make better work. you never look down upon the sitter, but squarely in the face.

eleventh, because it was invented by a practical photographer, and has been perfect in all its points.

twelfth, because every stand is warranted perfect in all respects.
    the stand when packed ready for shipment, weighs ninety-five pounds, and the price, boxed is twenty-five dollars.

===

i have the semi centennial stand that came with my "8a grand outfit" (less the film holder rack)

it is a little different than yours ... ( maybe because it is for a bigger camera ? )

it has ornamental posts ( kind of fancy ironwork caps the columns where the key goes to wind/unwind the ribbon spring ).

no big wheel to raise or lower the bed, but there is a tension-bar under the bed
    when loosened together with the vertical shaft at the rear wheel the whole bed goes up and down with ease ...

there is a small wooden wheel/crank under the bed on a cross piece that when turned allows the rear of the bed to be tilted

the bed can come apart so when the camera is extended the bed will follow the back of the camera.

there is brass edging on the back of the bed to protect it from the camera's saw-tooth bail ( used to tilt the camera) .

it has the original casters, but all the hard rubber is gone, so the wheels are iron.

the name plate :

"semi centennial
    mfg by ec fisher
    claremont nh
    patents jan 7 1880
    patent march 16 1890"

now, to answer your question about the name semi centennial,
    seems like it refers to the 50th anniversary of the invention of photography ......

Quote Originally Posted by Doug Kerr View Post

Note that these became the "1A" and "2A" when they took on the "dark" finish (like the "D" suffix for the Eastman View No. 2(-D).

Best regards,

Doug
    actually they are two different sizes. i have one of each. one has taller and thicker stantions and a larger board to hold the camera

Quote Originally Posted by hfrohman View Post
    If you don't mind my asking, can you tell me what the stand sold for? I am in the process of selling some of my father's and grandfather's equipment which includes 2 stands. One of the stands matches a Century 8x10 format Graflex camera and I am uncertain of the value of both.

Also, due to space considerations, would it be stupid to sell the stand by itself?
    these do not get much really. the stands really can not be shipped (i know some people that have tried and it is simply not worth it) i have been selling 10a for about 300 shipped. all in all i sold a stand at a camera show for 100 and a camera less the shipping nets you about 200. so basically that is where you are at. you will find that you can try and get more but in the end of the day any savy buyer will just wait till you can not store it or your wife is about to kill you and then he will get his price.

Quote Originally Posted by MacFearless View Post
    I have one of the Semi-Centennial camera stands that has been painted white. I acquired it from my father who acquired it from his father. I am tired of storing it and am considering selling it along with some lenses and shutter.
    Do you know what today's value should be for this camera stand? It is not in pristine shape, but could be cleaned and restored easily. I do not know if it is light tight, but it should be.
    see above. having it white would make it far less valuable IMO.

i am in kingston NY. are any of you guys nearby?

FWIW i just saw an 8x10 dorff studio and stand with no bellows extension a 4x5 back and a commercial ektar (i think 14 inch) go for $800 in Ct. remember it is a dorff so they get a bit more (although with no bellows and a 4x5 back i still think it went for too much...but the lens is worth 400 so i guess it is not too bad). when i 1st talked to this woman several months ago she was asking like 2000....i laughed out loud by accident while talking to her!

you guys would cry to hear how much i paid for my dorff 8x10 studio/stand, three backs, shutter box packard and misc stuff! (oh! and it could possible be a 10x12 as it looks like the 8x10 back is on a reducing board. the outside dimensions are 14.5 square while the inside hole opening is 12 square. any thoughts? better not say or you may just cut yours up for fire wood...

eddie
    My YouTube Channel has many interesting videos on Soft Focus Lenses and Wood Cameras. Check it out.

My YouTube videos
    oldstyleportraits.com
    photo.net gallery

Where on these stands does it say what the model is? I have a stand with a Century 7A and there is a white dot, but any text that was there has worn off.

diane,

there is a cross member running under the camera support board. it connects the two stantions. the tag is on the top side of this cross member. the bed tilt screw attaches to it.
    My YouTube Channel has many interesting videos on Soft Focus Lenses and Wood Cameras. Check it out.

My YouTube videos
    oldstyleportraits.com
    photo.net gallery

LF/ULF Carbon Printer Jim Fitzgerald's Avatar

This is very interesting that this post came up right now. I was doing some research on stands just last night.I was thinking of looking for one for my 11x14 so that when I do portraits I could use it. My 11x14 is the one I built myself and I would hope it would fit on the stand. Does one need to look for a certain model for an 11x14?

Jim

multiplex

eddie

that was the tag that i transcribed in my post.
    mine doesn't say what model it is ...
    just patent dates, name of stand, and its maker.
    maybe it is an older model before they labeled them with the A ...

i got my stand ( and camera ) at a very "affordable price " as well, and it had
    the split back and 8x10 reducer too...

jim -

you might look for one that the bed pulls apart / extends, and the posts are about 5 feet tall.
    it seems that the ones that are able to support a bigger than 8x10 camera are a bit beefier.
    my 8A has a double bellows ( with a wood standard inbetween ) and the bed easily fully extends to support the camera ...

the stand breaks down pretty easily, mine fit in the back of my jetta wagon
    (with the camera ).

good luck finding one!

john

btw another article i read last night
    suggested by 1900 or so there were about 800 of these stands sold.

Stuck inside of Tucson with the Neverland Blues again...

BTW, everybody, I'm looking for a studio stand for the hgh school where I teach photography for next year, (if the job holds out...). I have a nice Century No. 4 just waiting for it. Gotta teach these kids "real" photography along with the digital. Anything located near Tucson?
    "I love my Verito lens, but I always have to sharpen everything in Photoshop..."

LF/ULF Carbon Printer Jim Fitzgerald's Avatar

John, thanks for the info. If I can't find one then I may have to build a hybrid 21st century model out of all of the Walnut i still have.

Jim

multiplex

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Fitzgerald View Post
    John, thanks for the info. If I can't find one then I may have to build a hybrid 21st century model out of all of the Walnut i still have.

Jim
    jim

it sounds like yours will be "the camera stand of the future"

john