I have calibrated my mac for a gamma of 2.0 and imbedded the color profile sRGB IEC61966-2.1 in all my images. Typically, my images range from deep shadows to extreme highlights and are very sensitive to gammas that differ from my calibration.

I have recently made a effort to view my website on other peoples machines (non-technical people with uncalibrated computers) and was horrified how varied the images were from very dark to very light. PCs were typically too dark while macs were too light.

Is there any solution to this problem? I suspect the villain is the varied gamma setting of the computers. Can gamma be controlled by color profiles? My impressions are color profiles only manage colors, but not gamma settings.
Is this true?

I also believe the Microsoft browser does not use color profiles embedded in the images and simply defaults to sRGB IEC61966-2.1.
Is this true?

Are there any solutions to this problem? I am actually thinking about presenting the viewer with three identical images: one corrected for a gamma of 2.5, one at 2.0, and at 1.4. The viewer would select the image he feels looks best just prior to accessing my online gallery. I would then display a suite of images that have been corrected for the corresponding gamma. Unfortunately, this would require me to generate three suites of images for each photograph corresponding to gamma 2.5, 2.0, and 1.4.

FACTS:
1. In general, photographers do not buy fine-art photographs. They buy equipment. These are the people who calibrate their machines.

2. 85% of my sales are from women. From my surveys and emails with these patrons, they do not use calibrated computer systems.

3. The vast majority of computers do not employ color management solutions.

Any help would greatly be appreciated. Thanks.