Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Wet Mounting on an Epson 4990

Re: Wet Mounting on an Epson 4990

Just to set the record straight, I use baby oil only with very long scans where the low viscosity often results in separation of the negative from the glass. For other work I use Kami fluid since clean-up is less of a problem. Separation of the negative from the glass with long scans is a problem in my work because I don't use a sheet of mylar over the negative. The mylar, IMO, causes more problems than it is worth.

Johnson Baby Oil was recommended to me by someone with years and years of experiene with drum scanning, with the full assurance that it was entirely safe for this purpose. I am not aware of tests that show that any of the other fluids used for mouting negatives are any safer than baby oil, and unless someone can point me to such tests I will assume their concern that baby oil is not safe amounts to no more than speculation. I will certainly re-consider my use of baby oil if any evidence is available that it is less safe than fluids such as Kami and Prazio because I value my negatives just as much as anyone on this forum.

As for negative clean-up, I discussed the possible negative effects of degreasers with a former film engineer from Kodak. His primary concern was that many household degreasers work at a fairly high pH, which in theory could allow swelling of the gelatin in the film emulsion. For that reason I tested the pH of several different degreasers and selected one that works at neutral pH.

Sandy King

Does fluid mounting on a flatbed make a great deal of difference in the quality of the scans? Is anyone familiar with test results that can quantify (or at least illustrate) the difference between dry and wet in terms of sharpness?

Is it worth the time/mess/costs?

Thanks for replies... J
    jbhogan

Sandy,

Could you lets us know what you are using for cleanup? I am trying to wetmount 8 x 10s on a 1800. I liked the mineral oil best (vs the thinner antinewton fluid) but the edges started to separate from the oil so I could not get a successful complete scan. I'd like to try the baby oil. I may make a custom tray that allows me to use more fluid or oil.

Quote Originally Posted by phil sweeney View Post
    Sandy,

Could you lets us know what you are using for cleanup? I am trying to wetmount 8 x 10s on a 1800. I liked the mineral oil best (vs the thinner antinewton fluid) but the edges started to separate from the oil so I could not get a successful complete scan. I'd like to try the baby oil. I may make a custom tray that allows me to use more fluid or oil.
    Phil,

It is a dishwashing liquid called Sun Light Ultra, distributed by a company called Phoenix Brands out of Stanford, CT. If you can not find this particular brand I suspect that there are many other dishwashing liquids that will work just as well.

The solution cleans faster if you use it warm.

Sandy