Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: New 80mm Super Symmar XL on the Way!

New 80mm Super Symmar XL on the Way!

I just got off the phone with a source I consider reliable who informed me that at Photokina next month, Schneider will announce a new 80mm Super Symmar XL. I don't have the specs yet, but the image circle will be in the 220 - 225mm range, and based on the size of the 110mm XL, it should be quite tiny. I am also told that this lens will not be available until sometime after the first of the year .

If you've ever read the sections on ligtweight lenses, or Future Classics on my large format homepage, you'll know this is the lens I've been hoping for ever si nce I first got mt 110 XL (Ok, actually, I thought it would be an 85mm, but I'm quite happy and perfectly content that it will be an 80mm instead). Given the e xpected tiny size, good coverage, and no doubt outstanding performance (based on my experience with the 110 XL), this should be a GREAT wide angle for us 4x5 la ndscape shooters. There is no other competition in the 75mm - 90mm range in a m odern multicoated lens that is anywhere near as small as this baby is bound to b e. Plus, Super Symmar XL performance. Should be a big seller.

Kerry

P.S. The limited information I have on this lens came second hand from someone who has contacts at Schneider in Germany. I got email from Schneider USA this m orning concerning this matter that neither confirmed nor denied there would be a n announcement at Photokina. So, we'll probably just have to wait until next mo nth for the details (in other words, don't pester Schneider USA - either they do n't know, or more likely, they're not telling).

A Super-Angulon killer seems on the way.

P.S. to the above. With my 4x5 centric view of the world, it didn't dawn on me until after I typed in the above that this lens would also be a GREAT "normal" lens for roll film view camera shooters (and those using digital backs as well). After all, all the current view camera lenses shorter than 100mm are wide angle designs. With everything from 47mm XL - 90mm covering 4x5, most of these lenses are bigger than need be for roll film shooters. The 80mm Super Symmar would be a wonderful lens for all roll film formats from 645 - 617.

So, there you have it. Outstanding wide angle for 4x5 landscape types and great "normal" for roll film and digital shooters. The market potential is huge. It only makes me wonder why Schneider waited so long to treat us to a baby SS XL. Obviously, they spent a lot of time and resources on the design of the big daddy 210 SS XL (which is an amazing design and a manufacturing marvel, but bound to sell in much lower volumes). Oh well, better late than never.

Kerry

Hi Paul,

Since the longer f8 Super Angulons (120mm, 165mm, 210mm) have all been discontinued in favor of their Super Symmar XL counterparts (110mm, 150mm, 210mm), it would seem logical the new 80mm SS XL would displace the 90mm f8 Super Angulon (which has been around since 1955). I doubt, however, it will have any immediate impact on the newer, larger coverage Super Angulon XL line. With the 80mm focal length, it is positioned between the 72mm and 90mm SA XL offerings. Those lenses, are physically larger and have larger coverage. So, now we have a choice: 80mm SS Xl for those of use who want a smaller, lighter lens to toting around; and 72mm or 90mm SA XL for those who need more coverage and aren't as concerned about size and weight.

Kerry

Speaking of Super Symmar vs Super-Angulon, is the difference in image quality obvious to anybody ? I certainly like the fact that the 110 is two times lighter and smaller than a 120, one full f-stop brighter, and actually covers a bit more. However, out of curiosity, once I took the same transparency with the 110 and the 120. Admittedly, the field of view was slighly different, and it was shot at nearly f22.5 and examined only with a schneider 4x lupe. At the risk of discrediting myself :-) I remember that the differences (if any) were very subtle. The contrast seemed a tad higher and the corners a tad sharper, but I couldn't be sure this wasn't a psychological effect resulting from spending $1700.

Tuan,

WRT sharpness SS XL vs. SA, I haven't used the 120mm f8 SA, so I have no direct comparison. Of course, I love the 110 SS XL for all the reasons you mentioned, and compared to other conventional (Biogon derived) wide angle designs, I did find the performance of the SS XL superior, but as you noted, primarily in the corners (talking normal working apertures in the f16 - f32 range). To me, the superior sharpness of the 110 XL just seems to go on forever (speaking as a 4x5 shooter) with none to very little fall-off from center to corner.

Will the 80mm SS XL live up to the lofty reputation of the 110 SS XL? Only time will tell, but I'd be willing to bet it's at least as good as the 90mm f8 SA, and most likely better (especially in the corners). At the very least, it will be a stop faster and much smaller/lighter. That alone is enough to sell me one. Great performance is just an added bonus (and a nice one at that).

Kerry

Thanks Kerry for the info. If this lens has the image circle anywhere near what you mention. Then this could be the lens to put my 75/4.5 Grandagon into retirem ent, for I often need a little extra coverage when using this lens in 4x5 with s hifts.

I've started saving!!

Where are the Japanese?

re: Where are the Japanese?

When was the last new lens design out of Fuji or Nikon? I haven't been around the LF scene all that long, but it appears Schneider is *MUCH* more active than Rodenstock or anyone else with regard to new lens designs for LF. Maybe the LF market isn't big enough to support more than 1 or 2 players in new lenses.