Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Crystals in Xtol

Crystals in Xtol

I was ready to develop some film and noticed that there where a bunch of small thin crystals in my 6 month old Xtol stock solution. The Xtol was mixed with distilled water and kept in completely full glass bottles. All bottles have the crystals in them. I used this same developer batch last weekend and all was okay. Has anyone had a similar problem before?

I like Xtol but with a half-gallon left I have yet to go through a complete 5 litre batch. Fortunately, I just bought some Rodinal. Can anyone recommend a time/temp/dilution combo for Rodinal and Tmax 400 that will give me a CI of 0.52?

Kevin

Re: Crystals in Xtol

Six months is about the limit for XTOL, according to Kodak. Shoot a test sheet and develop it to be sure. Perhaps a little heat and stirring will re-dissolve the precipitate.

The massive dev chart on digital truth has times for small tank development with periodic inversion. Reduce the times by 10 to 20% for continuous agitation.

http://www.digitaltruth.com/devchart.html

I've seen this and used the developer with success.

But "when in doubt, throw it out" is the best advice.

A new pack of Xtol is only $10.00

If you do switch to Rodinal shoot a test to establish your times. You're taking about as big a chance starting up with a new developer as using old developer you're not sure about. A few test sheets developed in your new soup will provide valuable information.

Heating up and stirring the Xtol did not get rid of the crystals.

The cost for Xtol is a lot higher because the local camera store doesn't carry it. (Shipping and handling gets you every time.) Also, the cost goes up when you consider I only use half of it before it goes bad.

The whole point of the Rodinal was to find a developer I like that isn't so finicky. Did a test with the Rodinal - too grainy for my tastes, but workable.

HC-110 is a syrup that will last at least one year, people have reported much longer shelf-life.

I have used HC-110, Rodinal, XTOL, D76, and Pyrocat-HD with TMY. HC-110 did an excellent job with the TMY, not signifigantly different from XTOL.

Tried HC-110 several years ago, but I preferred Xtol. Might even go back to D-76 1:1.

Kevin

I keep several packs of Xtol on hand. The powder keeps a long time. Ordering more than one at a time keeps shipping costs down. If you like Xtol I suggest you stick with it. Maybe find someone to split it with each time you mix? Or buy an 8x10 then you'll use it up a lot faster !

I've tried many developers and I keep coming back to xtol. It works really well with many films, no matter the speed.

In my opinion, rodinal only works with slow films.

The only thing I don't like about Xtol is how finicky it is. I haven't used Rodinal in 30 years, because of the gritty salt and pepper look (it's nickname used to be "Rodent toil".) IMO Rodinal looks good with reportage style photos.

Kevin

I am not sure having to use a product within six months is finicky. Xtol is too good of a product not to be used because of this.

Maybe you need to shoot more?