Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fuji 75mm swd F5.6

Fuji 75mm swd F5.6

Hi,

I am choosing a 75mm lens.
    For use on 69 and 612 mainly and also for some 54.

For landscape, cityscapes and interiors and exteriors.

The rodenstock grandagon n F4.5 is my first choice but possibly too expensive.

I have also heard and been told good things about the 6.8 version but I believe image circle too be a little less so slightly restriciting the movements with 54 film.

How does the fuji 75mm swd lens stand in comparison in terms of sharpness etc.
    Its image circle is the same size as the rodenstock 4.5 and it is lighter too but what of its performance?

Thanks.

Re: Fuji 75mm swd F5.6

I queried a member by PM about the performance of his Fuji 75mm SWD f5.6. He described his negatives as "tack sharp", and mentioned that he never ran out of movement.

I'm interested in this lens because is has the longest infinity focus distance of modern 75mm lenses (see: http://www.ebonycamera.com/articles/lenses.html ), and I am hoping that this extra few millimeter will allow me to avoid time-consuming gyrations in the field.

I hope others will add their 2 cents here - I've found very little written about this lens on the Internet.

I just took a look and the flange focal distance is within a mm o the Schneider Super Angulon 75 that I used to own. The 75 SA gave me fits with the gyrations you refer to ... that was using it on an Ebony RW45. I had none of those problems with a Horseman FA or a Toyo AII. So, the camera on which you intend to use the lens makes a diference. Moreover, I didn't notice that much difference between any of the modern 75's.

Thanks for this Ted. I am also using the RW45 - sadly, I'd guess that the extra mm won't do the trick.

If it helps any the gyrations aren't really that awful but if you use a 75mm often enough they may become more than a bit annoying. During the two weeks I swas putting an RW45 through a shakedown cruise I go tto the point where, once I had mounted the 75 using the wide angle positioning gyrations, I would leave it in place even when moving to a new location. Lots easier to pop it off and rezerp everything for starting fresh with another lens. I commented on this over a year ago and got jumped on by a number of Ebony fanswho say they never have to go through any of the gyrations ..... not sure what they were referring too or which model camera. OTOH,how oftendo you use a 75mm or want too? If it is a lot then maybe you should think of a different camera, especially if you also want to use even wider lenses. I have been using a Toyo 45AII-L steadily for over two years and find taht I can easily use both a 75 and a 58 without any heroics. The 58 of course has rather limited movements but I expect that.

What do guys mean by gyrations?
    I will be using it on an ebony SW45.
    It will be used as main lens for a 612 panoramic project, and also general lens for 69 back and as wide for 54.

Depending on the camera, in order to get a wide angle lens close enough to the film to focus at infinity with a standard bellows you sometimes need to go through gyrations with tilting the front standard. See their web page http://www.ebonycamera.com/articles/wa.lenses.SV.html ... but this applies to the SV and the RW and should not be a problem on the SW since it is specifically designed for use with wide lenses.

Are all the fuji 75mm 5.6 swd lenses multicoated or only those after a certain date..if so can this be found from the serial number?
    The one I am looking at (on ebay) has the ring around the shutter speeds in silver not black..does this make it an older one?

Yes, it older than one in black.

Rich
    Richard A. Nelridge

http://www.nelridge.com

Is there any way of knowing if it multiocated simply from silver or black ring..I may not get to ask seller before auction is over.
    Or am I lucky and all 75mm swd lenses were multicaoted?!

Marc