Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Some observations on old Kodak 4x5 pack film

Re: Some observations on old Kodak 4x5 pack film

Fantastic! The inguinity of some people! Thanks.
    Wilhelm (Sarasota)

There were several flavors of those tanks available at one time. I'm not sure if any were made for the 16 shot packs, but would have to assume so. By the time they changed the packs from 12 to 16 shots, though, I think pack film poularity was declining. The film uses essentially the same base as roll film. Very flexible, so it could make that 180° turn at the bottom of the pack. It should work pretty well to develop the stuff in home made BTZS tubes, too. I think I have a Busch 4X5 pack adapter around here somewhere. If someone can use it, it's yours for postage.

And to think that I used to just develop 4x5 filmpack in a tray. When EK discontinued it in '92 I should have bought a huge amount, but I didn't

The nice thing about the film pack is that you can open it and retrieve any number of sheets and close it and continue shooting. I tray processed four sheets of 2x3 from a 1972 TX film pack last night in D76 that showed some base fog so the next sheets will have an anti fog added to the developer.
    The Yankee Sheet Film tank also allows for developing film packs but you need the special loading clip which I have lost so I am stuck with tray developing.

Has anyone tried to make a 4X5 film pack? Using standard 4X5 film and cutting black paper sheets? I'm not sure how the back worked but may be we could build a pack? I would welcome any idea's.

El Pueblo de Nuestra Señora la Reina de los Ángeles de Porciúncula

Quote Originally Posted by SEA_4X5_Guy View Post
    Has anyone tried to make a 4X5 film pack? Using standard 4X5 film and cutting black paper sheets? I'm not sure how the back worked but may be we could build a pack? I would welcome any idea's.
    The base on the film in pack-film was a lot thinner than sheet film. I doubt it would work. Most folks who want that kind of capability use a Grafmatic.

loujon

Quote Originally Posted by SEA_4X5_Guy View Post
    It was such a BIG and difficult undertaking/difficult task that when the last person at Kodak who was trained and able to build the packs retired (along with the market for pack film dying off with all the medium and small format cameras taking over press work) Kodak pulled the plug on Pack film. That was it.....
    So I deduce from this that if it was that difficult for the BIG YELLOW FATHER to train up another employee to continue pack film then we peons stand little chance.

Well it was a good thought anyway. Thanks for the information.

I've just acquired two packs Tri-X. I have some holders with adapters to take plates or sheets so when I found some packs of Tri-X I thought I would try it out. The film is well expired, '81 but I did a speed test shot, developed in HC110 and reckon a speed of about 125-160 works. The second shot rating at 160 and using flash came out beautifully. The slight oversize of the sheets is a pain though.

I have only used 2 shots but have kept the backing papers and will experiment with them to see if I can fix sheets of Rollei IR400, about same thinness of the pack film sheets, and re-pack it. I like the idea of having sixteen shots in a very compact package. I discovered in an art shop Hama non-permanent glue dots dispenser and reckon this might work to attach the film edge to the backing sheet. I'll probably build a cardboard template to help get everything aligned.

Does anyone know how the film moved to the back of the film holder? I know the film was thiner than standard 4X5 sheet film as it had to make a 180 degree turn to the back. The first paper is pulled to expose the film than I guess the second sheet was connected to the first exposed sheet so that when pulled it would move to the back while the second sheet is exposed and so on. Hard to imagine and even more difficult to manufacture.