Thread: UPS for Epson 9800

UPS for Epson 9800

Does anyone have any recommendations for a decent UPS to hook up with my new Epson 9800? I don't want the thing to get fried during a lightning storm or from some other electrical surge. Midwest Photo told me to leave the printer on if I want avoid costly cleaning cycles.

Thanks,

Ben Marcin

Re: UPS for Epson 9800

It has been too long since I've looked at UPS models to make a specific product suggestion. But, in addition to total power draw, I'd suggest getting a model that will have sufficient post-outage operating time to complete a full print (your maximum print size).

Ben where do you live? In the SW if you leave it on the small heat it produces dries it out faster. Here it is better to turn it off.
    Thanks,
    Kirk

at age 73:
    "The woods are lovely, dark and deep,
    But I have promises to keep,
    And miles to go before I sleep,
    And miles to go before I sleep"

I use an APC battery backup / surge protector for my Epson 9000. Protects it from electrical spikes, and allows the printer to keep running if I'm in the middle of a print when power goes out.

http://www.staples.com/webapp/wcs/st...&cmArea=SEARCH

Thanks for the responses! I'll pick up the APC at Staples.

Kirk,

I live in the NE - we get some huge summer thunderstorms out here. What did you mean by "drying out faster"? Does your 9800 run a cleaning cycle every time you turn it back on?

Ben

Ben,

Caution .... you need a fairly heavy duty UPS for a 9800 to run it for more than a few seconds and it is a coin toss whether Staples will have one that is the right size.

You should also look at TRIPP. TRIPP, along with APC are the two makers of UPS units that arae utterly trustworthy. Both of them, AFAIK, include full insurance coverage if anything should happen to a unit that is hooked up to one of their UPS's as long as the UPS is being properly used. Again, both have UPS size calculators on their websites and both have decent tech support who will help you figure out what unit you want over the phone .... APC may have become more difficult to deal with in the past few years as they have become mor eand more consumer oriented while TRIPP still remains largely commercially focused.

Ben email me with a phone number if you want me to call you with details, etc. for the NE.