Thread: SCSI to USB

Question SCSI to USB

I've just got a scanning back it uses SCSI. I want to know if anyone has used a SCSI to USB converter on a phase one successfully? I got the apple G4 throw into the deal, however I would like to use my laptop as well which only has USB and is also a pc clone. Thanks in advance for any help.

Re: SCSI to USB

Why not track down a PCMCIA SCSI adapter for the laptop? For example: http://www.adaptec.com/en-US/products/scsi_desk/

I have used a converter with several different types of digital stuff, and never had any problem with any of them, I use with one of my film scanners to my laptop quite often...just make sure to get the USB 2.0 capable adapter to ensure enough speed...

Dave

USB to SCSI is probably the slowest solution, though might be the cheapest. A FireWire to SCSI would be better, though I agree with the other recommendation of a dedicated PCMCIA Card with SCSI. Other than Adaptec, you can look in Ratoc Systems. I have a few older Ratoc adapters for when I was doing more video editing, and they work great.

Ciao!

Gordon Moat
    A G Studio

PM me if you are interested in the PCMCIA card solution. I have one that is not in use and will sell it cheap, assuming I can find it and the cable.

Thanks for the feedback, I'll give an USB-SCSI a go. They cost about $120.00 here in OZ. I've got a new ultra slim laptop and it doesn’t have an expansion slot only USB. It hasn’t even got a VGA out. My wife’s has so if the converter doesn't work I may have to ask nicely.