Thread: Hi.. I am looking for a good portrait lens for my 4*5. Inexspensive please (210mm)

Hi.. I am looking for a good portrait lens for my 4*5. Inexspensive please (210mm)

Hi. I am new to the forum. I am looking for a good, used 210 lens for my 4*5 camera..(it's a calumet monorail).. anyone selling??

thank you

xaviera

Re: Hi.. I am looking for a good portrait lens for my 4*5. Inexspensive please (210mm

If you really want an inexpensive portrait lens for your 4x5, try a minus lens over your normal lens...if you're using a 135mm, a -3 lens will make your focal length about 200mm; if you have a 150mm, you get about 220mm. You can go to a -3 lens for 225mm and 270mm. You might loose a little critical sharpness, but in a portrait lens, thats not a bad thing! Remember to adjust for the bellows factor when computing your exposure.

Re: Hi.. I am looking for a good portrait lens for my 4*5. Inexspensive please (210mm

Look for a 210/5.6 convertible Schneider Symmar. Cheap is relative but I paid $100 for mine on ebay. It has oodles of coverage, tack sharp, gives a nice bright image on the ground glass.

Plus it converts to a 370/12 lens by removing the front element. Seems to give nice results in that mode too, though not as sharp as at 210.

I'd suggest calling Jim at Midwest Photo Exchange or Jeff Wheeler at Quality Camera. Either should be able to fix you up at a reasonable price.

Steve

1. Wollensak 12" Velostigmat, with or without the front ring -- you can get them in Betax shutters.
    2. Any brass lens -- good ones are inexpensive. Go for a petzval type if available. You may have to make waterhouse inserts, and will probably have to flip a card (no shutter).
    3. Wollensak Veritar -- comes in an Alphax 4.

Get yourself a Rodenstock 210mm Geronar lens. Real cheap and nice out of focus effects for background etc. Tessar design lens.
    Eric Rose
    www.ericrose.com
    yourbaddog.com

I don't play the piano, I don't have a beard and I listen to AC/DC in the darkroom. I have no hope as a photographer.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Rose View Post
    Get yourself a Rodenstock 210mm Geronar lens. Real cheap and nice out of focus effects for background etc. Tessar design lens.
    Not that it matters at all, but the Geronar is a triplet.

xaviera simmons,

Voigtlander Heliar 210/4.5, a nice one in modern shutter won't be cheap.
    Wollensak Raptar 190/4.5, a nice one in flash synched Alphax will be cheap. You could also look for a 210/4.5 or 241/4.5. Condition is everything with used lens.

Just a thought.

The Cambo is gone, but I still have the 190mm f4.5 Kodak Ektar. Wide open this Kodak lens has a superb smooth / sharp thing going. The poor man's Heliar. (It's actually a tessar but the look is very similar)

He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep..to gain that which he cannot lose. Jim Elliot, 1949