Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: solar photography resorces

Re: solar photography resorces

The Sun and Moon are both about the same angular size (30 minutes of arc) I took some pictures of a lunar eclipse a while back with my 300mm Lens on a 35mm Pentax K-1000 The disk of the moon was quite small in comparison to even a 35mm frame.

On the other hand the Moon is not the largest target in the sky. The milkey way covers a huge chunk of sky and can show some amazing results on film with a tracked exposure. As soon as I can get a mount that will carry it I plan to buy a large format lens (maybe about a 210mm) and build a custom astrograph around it. For this type of application film will blow anything digital out of the water. Even with the 80mm F2.8 lens in my Rolleiflex I have gotten some nice results. And that was without tracking, just the camera on a tripod.

Senior for sure

Adrian, Google "sun projector" - you may come up a variety of ideas to get you where you want to be. There is a "sun projector" attachment for telescopes, commonly used on so-called "Newtonian" telescopes, to project the image of the sun onto a white metal plate several inches from the eyepiece. While the logistics may be daunting, it may be possible to achieve what you want by a similar projection method.

using projection could work pretty well. Basicly you are taking a very bright small object and turning it into a much larger object, and spreading that light over a larger surface. Then it becomes an case of macrophotography. And with eyepiece projection you can make the image as large as you want or need. Then the only issue is how steady is the air etc. However it should be posible to project a 3-6" diamater sun onto a screen or even a mounted piece of ground glass then photograph that. (I would not use the one from a camera but would make one special for this. Also remember if you are doing a longer exposure that the sun will move at about 1" every 4 minutes. Or one solar diamater in 2 minutes.

I personally would try it with my 35mm first to see how much detail shows up before going to a large format.

No, but I once knew a guy who had a camera that ran on solar power.

thanks paul.