Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wacom Tablets???????

Wacom Tablets???????

Curious to know who is using one of the Wacom units, what there work flow is like utilizing the above, comments regarding to have or not to have, etc???
    Thank you

Re: Wacom Tablets???????

I have one and have used it for years. For most applications and operations I prefer a large trackball. For a very small number of PS operations it can give you control that is superior to a trackball but it is not often needed.

They are great but in order to used to them you need to hide your mouse and force yourself to use it exclusively for a day or two. The first few hours can be strange.

I like the cheaper, smaller versions because your hand doesn't need to travel as far. If I were "painting" and more worried about brushstrokes then a larger one would be good. As for the pressure sensitivity, the one with 512 levels is fine and in use it is indistinguishable from the more expensive 1024 level models.

The more expensive ones have a nicer stylus but you can order different (and better) styli from Wacom to use with any Wacom tablet.

The bottom line? They allow you to do work that you can't -- or would take forever -- with a mouse or trackpad. Especially if you like to use layer masks, history brush, etc.

I have been using an Intuos3 4" x 5" for six or seven months. It is invaluable in working in Photoshop for numerous operations. Recommended.

I had one, never got used to it so I gave it to my artistic daughter. Then six months later I ended up with a newer model (Intuous 3 4x5) as part of a larger equipment purchase so figured WTF and plugged it in. I dorked around with it for the first day or two and haven't touched it since. And I'm even left-handed and use my mouse right-handed, so I can use both/either whenever. But it looks cool sitting next to my keyboard.
    Jack Flesher

www.getdpi.com

I have not connected a mouse to my computers within the last ten years, and my drawing tablets happen to be a set of older "Intuos 2" tablets, where they are very essential for my other periodic line of work. It can take a few days to become comfortable with the user defined set of controls, while your index finger might be pressed against a rocker switch on the drawing pen, and where additional pressure sensitive effects are activated as you apply pressure to the drawing tablet with the pen like device. If you find that holding a pen in your hands as I do, is a natural feeling while you write, draw, and design, then you might not use a mouse again once you master the subtle controls within the tablet.

The greatest appealing feature for me while using the drawing pen and the tablet, is the wondrous flexible control a user has within their own finger tips, compared to moving your forearm or twisting your wrist to control fine detail with a mouse. Everyone has a set of talents, and everyone has a set of preferences that can be transferred to a device designed to mimic drawing, and where everyone seems to excel with their available tools. I prefer to have a pen in my hand while I design.

Lastly, if you decide to purchase a drawing tablet after everyone offers their supportive advice, I would suggest you purchase a drawing tablet that is at least a 9X12, because my own experience decided that anything less was too small and very annoying if my arms could not rest comfortably on the tablet. Just my two pennies...

jim k

Essential tool.. I use it all day long. Here's the ticket: If you use the lasso as a selection tool, your adjustments will have the appearance of cutouts...

There are at least three good ways to select - channel masks, quick mask and color range. All of them require painting the selection with a brush - or tuning the selection by painting. This is a main difference between the beginners and the pros....

Lenny
    eigerphoto.com

Just received one for Xmas and am looking forward to plugging and playing!

Cheers
    Life in the fast lane!

I've used an Intuos III for several years. I frankly never saw the advantage of the controls on the two sides of the board and stopped using them after a while. I'm sure there must be some advantage that I wasn't seeing. I mostly use the pen as a paint brush in making masks.
    Brian Ellis
    Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you do criticize them you'll be
    a mile away and you'll have their shoes.

Like Brian I do not use any of the advanced controls. I think it is great for quick mask, clone tool and healing brush! Once I am done spotting I am back to the mouse but I could not live without it!