Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Health Insurance

Health Insurance

Does any professional photography organization offer a group rate for health insurance ? Must be a common problem for freelancers in the US (note for non-US photographers: social security programs are very limited in the US).

Re: Health Insurance

Hi Tuan,

I get my health insurance with a discount as a result of being a member of PPA. That is one of the reasons that I am a member. I am not a portrait, school, or wedding photograher which is the bulk of the membership. The health insurance is underwritten and is set up as a PPO. A discounted rate can be quoted for members in almost all states except a few including NJ. In fact, I moved out of NJ about 5 years ago because the health insurance rates were going up so fast and I was unable to get any discount as a self employed individual.

Rich
    Richard A. Nelridge

http://www.nelridge.com

Hey Naturephoto, just how much does this cost? Will they cover preexisting ailments like diabetes and Multiple Sclerosis (a lot of them won't)? I get mine through the Camber of Commerce at $2000.00 per month for the two of us with high deductables. The shots my wife has to take cost nearly $2000.00 a month and I take a ton of meds for my diabetes. And it ain't getting cheaper anytime soon.
    Greg Lockrey

Wealth is a state of mind.
    Money is just a tool.
    Happiness is pedaling +25mph on a smooth road.

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Lockrey View Post
    Hey Naturephoto, just how much does this cost? Will they cover preexisting ailments like diabetes and Multiple Sclerosis? I get mine through the Camber of Commerce at $2000.00 per month for the two of us with high deductables. The shots my wife has to take cost nearly $2000.00 a month and I take a ton of meds for my diabetes. And it ain't getting cheaper anytime soon.
    Hi Greg,

I can't really say how much it will cost due to so many plan options and the fact that the pricing is based upon where you are living including county, hospitals, etc. As to pre-existing problems, I am not sure, but they may if you have continuous coverage through another carrier. Presently, I have only been paying about $213 a month (without going into the particulars to the plan) for myself in Walnutport, PA which is about 60 miles north of Philadelphia. Bucks County and around Philadelphia would be substantially more expensive than my location.

You may want to contact PPA (Professional Photographers of America) in Atlanta if you are a Pro and find out about membership benefits and see what they tell you about options for health insurance. They can probably direct you to the proper people who either arrange for or underwrite the health insurance. They do have as I understand it new programs since I started with their health insurance about 5 years ago. Here is the PPA Customer Service Phone # 800-786-6277.

Rich
    Richard A. Nelridge

Hey Rich,

Thanks for the quick reply and info. Sounds cheap! You must be either pretty young and or very healthy I used to be a member of the PPA in the 70-80's but forgot to renew one year about 25 years ago...time flies when your having fun! Actually I'm now old enough for AARP...might check their offers. In another couple of years, we can be wards of the Feds anyway
    Greg Lockrey

Wealth is a state of mind.
    Money is just a tool.
    Happiness is pedaling +25mph on a smooth road.

Hi Greg,

I am relatively healthy and will be 53 next month. AARP would be another option, and I could become a member of AARP.

Rich
    Richard A. Nelridge

The best way for a photographer to get insurance is to marry a nurse. That's what I did.

Like many I also have no health insurance and I hear that rates are going to go up again first of the year and for some double.

Read this:

http://www.usatoday.com/money/indust...te-hikes_x.htm

[SNIP]
    $44,000 a year for health insurance?
    Posted 12/5/2006 9:37 PM ET

By Julie Appleby, USA TODAY
    Hundreds of entertainment industry workers in California and New Jersey who buy health insurance as a group are being hit with a rate increase that will raise some family-plan premiums to more than $44,000 a year.
    [SNIP]

I use NASE (National Association for the Self Employed). Policy through mega-life or something.
    I'm 50 and pay about $245 a month. It's only gone up $25 in the last three years.
    Had blue cross before and was getting outrageous.
    "I invent nothing, I rediscover"
    August Rodin

My Now old Photo Site

I was part of TEIGIT (the entertainment industry group insurance trust) as a member of APA here in Los Angeles, and for 2 years I paid 575/month for Cigna HMO for myself and my wife, who has numerous chronic conditions. You may have read how recently Cigna cancelled us out and re-offered us enrollment.... in our case for 1,532/month, of course without any sort of tripling of service quality. When I got the envelope I thought to myself, "Maybe I can't afford to live in my own country anymore." Because my wife is basically uninsurable, we got her on a state of California plan (which is over 600/month), and I am getting a high deductible Blue Cross PPO for 240ish/month, so, even with an increase of almost 300/month, I feel lucky that we were able to work something out.

In the end I think it is criminal for companies to speculate on something one ultimately does not have full control over, for whatever influence one tries to exercise. I can not smoke, not drive like a maniac, eat well, exercise, and I could still get hit by a bus or fall ill with cancer, and need massive coverage.

I am sorry I only have a sob story, not an actual suggestion, but I see that other people have put things forth. The NASE look promising. Good luck.