Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: International shipping - film

Confidently Agnostic!

International shipping - film

Any problems? It may be cheaper to buy internationally and have 4x5 sheet film shipped to me than buy it at the local store. Of course I will try to buy locally as much as possible to try to help maintain availability but for some types it's horribly expensive.

Re: International shipping - film

Only real problem is waiting. You can order this morning and expect to be shooting this afternoon. OTOH if you can plan it works just fine.

Confidently Agnostic!

Quote Originally Posted by Nick_3536 View Post
    Only real problem is waiting. You can order this morning and expect to be shooting this afternoon. OTOH if you can plan it works just fine.
    So no problems with X-rays damaging the film or anything like that? That's what I'm mainly worried about. Presumably film gets shipped all over the planet to distributors and dealers, but I'm not so sure that private orders would be, uhh, respected by the border officials. I would probably order from US to Canada or from Japan to Canada.

I haven't had any problems. Of course they could always change things tomorrow.

Japan Exposures

Quote Originally Posted by walter23 View Post
    So no problems with X-rays damaging the film or anything like that? That's what I'm mainly worried about.
    There is a greater risk of you spoiling the film than it being damaged, lost, degraded etc. by shipping.

I have shipped almost 1000 packages worldwide, never lost one, never had x-ray probs. OK, German customs once opened the boxes ("wonder what's in those funny tinfoil bags"; customer got a free replacement).

Have to say though that international shipping to Canada is getting more complicated lately. Many more forms to fill out and tracked packages almost certainly get customs attention.

If you like Ilford's films, I've found that Don's Photo's prices are very competitive with US pricing (sometimes even better). Don's has a location in Calgary I think, and for certain one in Edmonton.

I do find that E6 films are a lot cheaper from the US, though. I order those from B&H and get them shipped overnight. That way they aren't sitting in a truck getting baked for weeks. (Of course, ordering in the winter mitigates that risk quite a bit.)

I find film in the States even with shipping more economical then local shop. Fuji Acros in 120 is $2.58 in the States and $6.00 in local shop. Specially ordering Acros in 4X5 format from Dirk in Japan.

Cheers Greg

Quote Originally Posted by Dirk Rösler View Post
    There is a greater risk of you spoiling the film than it being damaged, lost, degraded etc. by shipping.

I have shipped almost 1000 packages worldwide, never lost one, never had x-ray probs. OK, German customs once opened the boxes ("wonder what's in those funny tinfoil bags"; customer got a free replacement).

Have to say though that international shipping to Canada is getting more complicated lately. Many more forms to fill out and tracked packages almost certainly get customs attention.
    Speaking of which... I was mildly suprised to see the customs declaration that one yesterday. =)

I am often buying film from Freestyle and no problem. It is cheaper, but more important I like to buy in batches for few months and keep supplies in my fridge. Stores in Ontario do not have quantity, sometimes do not have particular film at all. When I hear, please pay and we will order my answer is - I can order by myself.

I have bought film from J&C, B&H and some outdated colour 4x5 from Helix in Chicago. No problems at all. Just the usual drill - PST+GST+brokerage fee.