Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Which lens? fuji or computar? help me decide

Which lens? fuji or computar? help me decide

First of all I am fairly new to large format just under a year since i started. I've slowly put together a LF kit mainly for landscapes, which so far consists of a Wista woodfeild 4x5, 90mm SA f/8, 150mm f/9 DO germiner, 210 computar symmetrigon. I like to keep my lens kit to 3 lenses mostly b/c it's easier to lug it around. The question is about the 210mm (my longer focal length)

I've often wanted something slightly longer than 210mm but have been reluctant to spring for a 300mm b/c of the price+max bellows draw (i'll be at the limit with my wista). However last week i picked up a used Fuji 250mm f/6.3, mainly b/c the price offered was rediculously low for a mint optic. I haven't gotten the time to try it yet. I intend to keep either the fuji or the computar and sell the other. Now i know what your thinking (try it and keep the one you like), and i fully intend to do that. Just wondering if others have used the fuji and how it stacks up.

By the way i shoot almost exclusivly 4x5 velvia right now. I might try my hand at b/w latter on but not right now, and no i don't intend to go 5x7 or above.

Thanks in advance

Re: Which lens? fuji or computar? help me decide

Not that I am an anywhere close to an expert, but have lots of lens, I would recommend the 250mm Fujinon. I have the f6.7 version and love it. I probably use it more than my 240mm f9 Germinar Docter MC lens. For 4x5, I like the angle of view from the 240mm and/or 250mm over the 210mm lens. http://www.apug.org/gallery/showphot...00&ppuser=2399
    Hope you can open this picture tranny I posted on apug using my 250mm Fujinon. Although it is not a super picture, it gives you an idea of what the lens can do.

I would surmise that the two lenses will give you very different "feels/bokeh" of the same subject matter.

The Fujinon lenses, in general, are very sharp and contrasty. I think many people will tell you that they prefer the bokeh of the older lenses. Others will tell you they prefer the sharpness of the newer lenses.

Therefore, the ONLY person that can definitively decide on which lens to keep is YOU!

Who knows? You might decide to keep both lenses!

Cheers
    Life in the fast lane!

Thanks for the reply jon. I can't open APUG galleries b/c i am not a subscriber . Still my thinking was similar to yours mostly b/c with the 210mm i was looking for just that touch extra.

Quote Originally Posted by Capocheny View Post
    I would surmise that the two lenses will give you very different "feels/bokeh" of the same subject matter.

The Fujinon lenses, in general, are very sharp and contrasty. I think many people will tell you that they prefer the bokeh of the older lenses. Others will tell you they prefer the sharpness of the newer lenses.

Therefore, the ONLY person that can definitively decide on which lens to keep is YOU!

Who knows? You might decide to keep both lenses!

Cheers
    not much chance of keeping both. Bokeh is less of a issue than sharpness for me. I tend to shoot landscapes a lot as opposed to potraits. Still you make a good point. Looks like i'll be burning some film over the weekend.

I have a Fujinon 250mm(f/6.7) and can`t praise it enough. I yet have to try a Fujinon I didn`t like.
    Amund

The problem is i read a lot abot the fuji 250 f/6.7 but very little about the f/6.3 (my lens). Are these similar?

Quote Originally Posted by stompyq View Post
    The problem is i read a lot abot the fuji 250 f/6.7 but very little about the f/6.3 (my lens). Are these similar?
    The f/6.3 is newer ,multicoated,but has a smaller image circle(doesn`t cover 8x10) otherwise similar.
    Amund

Here is a shot with my Fujinon 250mm f6.7
    The websize scan does not do this shot justice.

Just got the fuji in the mail. I'll be making some exposures over the weekend. It's heavy!!! certainly heavier than the computar. Still my wista seems to handle it ok.