Thread: Fine Art Paper Recommendations?

Fine Art Paper Recommendations?

I am purchasing the 3800 as my transition from the darkroom takes hold.

I am wondering if you could recommend some papers so I can sample them. I know sommerset velvet is popular. Ilford? I usually printed on Ilford in the darkroom.

I am guessing I would be looking for something from a matte to semi-gloss finish, which could then be sprayed, and put behind glass, something that offers the sharpness that my 4x5 negs hold, while having a depth and charisma to the prints (not a flat look, if that makes sense).

Thanks for your thoughts.

~Joel Belmont

Re: Fine Art Paper Recommendations?

In a matt paper I really like Hahnemuhle Photo Rag. I haven't used semi-gloss or glossy.

I've been using Epson's art papers as well. Most of my clients are artists and have their reproductions printed on Enhanced Matte to be able to offer a low cost print at shows. Since my 9600's are set up for matt, I purchased the 3800 for it's versatility to do PK Black albeit that I will be limited to just a 17x22" print. I haven't had that much request from photographers for inkjet prints to begin with since they tended to want semi gloss or glossy type prints. I decided to add the 3800. There is a new breed of photographer that are up and coming that understand digital's capabilities more and know how to use it. I really like the Epson Premium Luster Paper for photos though. Does a decient job with B&W in the "Advanced B&W mode" as well. I am waiting for a QTR upgrade though since it has given me a little extra pop on my 9600 B&W prints.
    Greg Lockrey

Wealth is a state of mind.
    Money is just a tool.
    Happiness is pedaling +25mph on a smooth road.

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Marshall View Post
    In a matt paper I really like Hahnemuhle Photo Rag. I haven't used semi-gloss or glossy.
    I have a limited edition print that I typically print on Photo Rag 308. Out of the papers I've seen so far, I like this one the best.

I wonder how it compares to say, Crane Museo Silver Rag?

Crane Museo Silver Rag is the one I use mostly. Great for Black and white and not too bad for colour.

At the end of the day it is probably a matter of personal choice though, but Silver Rag is not a bad place to start looking.

The best mat paper in terms of DMax is Epson Velvet Fine Art which I use allot for small print editions as it only comes in 13xs19. I also like Crane Museo Max. I actually prefer mat papers and Museo Max has a higher D-Max than HPR. It is a bit warmer in color than HPR, but that is because it uses no optical brighteners as HPR does, which will yellow in a relatively short time anyway. I would rather start out with a warm paper base and atune my ink color, mat and frame to that up front than get complaints about yellowing ten years down the road.
    Thanks,
    Kirk

at age 73:
    "The woods are lovely, dark and deep,
    But I have promises to keep,
    And miles to go before I sleep,
    And miles to go before I sleep"

I'd start with a paper for which you can easily obtain a profile, either one of the canned profiles that comes with the 3800 software or a canned profile that can be downloaded from the paper manufacturer's web site such as Moab Entrada Fine Art Natural from the Moab web site. However, I wouldn't think that at this early date there are many canned profiles for the 3800 other than those that come with the printer software so for now I'd use one of those papers.
    Brian Ellis
    Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you do criticize them you'll be
    a mile away and you'll have their shoes.

Shilesh Jani

My favorite is Hahnemuhle William Turner 190 gsm.
    Shilesh Jani