Page 3 of 15 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Piezography Printing

Shilesh Jani

Re: Piezography Printing

Quote Originally Posted by Ted Harris View Post
    Let me expand on Bruce's post. IMO you can get even better results using one of the high end RIPs (Studioprint, ColorBurst, ImagePrint) than you will from special inksets. Of course, the learning curve is steep here too and you will need to be running one of the wide format printers for solid repeatable results.
    QTR is more than adequate (and just as high end) a RIP and cost $50 shareware (don't pay if you dont like it or dont use it). MIS inks are cheaper by a lot, oh and they also have pure carbon inks too. There is absolutely no need to spend the $$$ on Studioprint or Imageprint - none whatsoever.
    Shilesh Jani

Quote Originally Posted by jim kitchen View Post
    Jon Cone's inks are pure carbon pigment where the carbon particles are suspended in a possible proprietary solution.

From Cone Editions website:

"Carbon Sepia is pure carbon pigment. This ink has the natural warm undertone of carbon, which has been used in traditional photographic process for centuries. While the other PiezoTone inks use pure pigment, they are dual-pigment systems which produce our hues from Warm Neutral to Cool Neutral."

On the Inkjetmall website, in 'Jon Cone's Corner' they are described as 'carbon pigments'. Piezography Neutral K7 inks are described as 'a pure pigment formulation'.

Best,
    Helen

Dear Kirk,

I admire your work...

Periodically, the gallery directors I currently deal with contact me to discuss the longevity issue, and sometimes they just call to reinform and, or rearm themselves with information, following why I chose this medium. Although they are aware of the issues that the digital world now presents, they are also bombarded with questions from other associates that require more information, and require assurance that this new medium is a valid asset.

This issue could be regional, and it could be a comparative issue, but then again I do not know. This evening I met with another director of a gallery to promote my work, where his questions simply focused on the longevity issue, the use of coloured ink sets, and whether my images were outside this specific avenue. The gallery owners and directors seem to be seeking validation too.

jim k

So are we agreed that with the exception of 'Carbon Sepia' PiezoTone, the pigments in Cone inks are carbon based rather than 'pure carbon'? They are, of course, 'pure pigment', but so are other manufacturers' inks.

Best,
    Helen

"The UT inks are predominantly carbon and 100% pigment."

In other words, not 100% carbon pigment. Some unknown percentage of something else.

If you print with 100% carbon, the ink is quite warm. It looks quite nice for a number of images, but I prefer a more neutral tone for the majority of my printing. If you cool the tone, that introduces some pigment. (This doesn't concern me since even color prints (pigments) seem to have good longevity ratings.) BTW, if you cool the tone too much, a "neutral or cool tone print," the ink doesn't match the tone of the paper. So you end up with cool dark tones and warm highlights on Hammamule rag.

Jay

Quote Originally Posted by Helen Bach View Post
    So are we agreed that with the exception of 'Carbon Sepia' PiezoTone, the pigments in Cone inks are carbon based rather than 'pure carbon'? They are, of course, 'pure pigment', but so are other manufacturers' inks.

Best,
    Helen
    Hope no-one's advertising their other Cone prints as "pure carbon pigment" or "pure carbon" then...?
    You'd be amazed how small the demand is for pictures of trees... - Fred Astaire to Audrey Hepburn

www.photo-muse.blogspot.com blog

I'm carbon-based and I don't seem very archival...

BTW - it's a long time since I tried any of the Cone stuff - do the current Cone inks work for glossy papers (or for the Silver Rga type papers) and give NO gloss differential or metamerism? (as someone seemed to mention)

thanks
    You'd be amazed how small the demand is for pictures of trees... - Fred Astaire to Audrey Hepburn

www.photo-muse.blogspot.com blog

Quote Originally Posted by tim atherton View Post
    BTW - it's a long time since I tried any of the Cone stuff - do the current Cone inks work for glossy papers (or for the Silver Rga type papers) and give NO gloss differential or metamerism? (as someone seemed to mention)

thanks
    Matt only, AFAIK.

Abuser of God's Sunlight

Quote Originally Posted by tim atherton View Post
    Hope no-one's advertising their other Cone prints as "pure carbon pigment" or "pure carbon" then...?
    It looks like it depends on the inks. Cone's quadtone sets with the museum black are all carbon. Unless they changed their formula since I bought them.