Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Head for Backpacking Tripod

Head for Backpacking Tripod

Hello all,

I have decided to lighten my 4x5 travel kit with a change to a carbon fibre trip od. I am considering two models right now, the Gitzo 1227 and the 1325. Both o f which are lighter than my Bogen 2021. I have looked at the other offerings, a nd consider these two to be the best available for my needs.

My question is: What heads are people out there using with these lightweight tr ipods? It doesn't seem to make sense to save the weight, and then put it all ba ck on top in the form of a ballhead or heavy tilt/pan head.

The equipment I intend to use on this tripod consists of a Canham DLC, and lense s from 75mm through 450mm, and my primary use is landscape photography in the ba ckcountry. If I'm near a car, I'll be using my Gitzo 410 or another largeish tr ipod.

I have thought about the Bogen 440 geared head, but have concerns about it's abi lity to hold the camera when the load is unbalanced. I was thinking about the n ew Bogen magnesium head, but the load rating is only 6 pounds, seemingly too lig htweight for the anticipated loading. Comments on these heads, and suggestions on differents heads are appreciated.

---Michael

Sorry, just caught a typo, the Bogen 410 geared head and the Bogen 460MG magnesium head were considered, but I have concerns about both...

Arca Swiss B1.

I recently wrote a thread (less than two weeks ago) in favor of the Bogen Magnesium head. I suspect, despite its 6 lb rating, it would be fine for the Canham DLC as long as you did not use too long of lenses. Try it and see if it works; if not return it. The other lightweight great, and expensive, choice is the Linhof 3 way levelling head.

I use my Linhof TK45S with a Gitzo 1349 tripod and Bogen 410 head. My longest le ns is a 400mm. I find that this combination of tripod/head is both light and ve ry stable. Enen with strong breezes (which really can be described as moderate winds) I do not notice anything but a stable image.

Michael, you are right. No point in robbing Peter to Pay Paul. A thing I value in heads in addition to rigidity and weight is smoothness. I like to be able to position the camera with precision and jerkiness prevents that. Look for heads that have teflon inserts -NOT just teflon coatings. Coatings wear off and are an indication of cost-cutting. Additionally, I do not think they are coated generally as smooth. Manfrotto heads I am told teflon-coated. I believe that Arca and Foba use teflon inserts. These heads are very smooth. The Arca B1e puts you at between 600 and 750 grams. The Arca B1g and B2 are tanks, at 1500 to 1600 grams. The new Gitzo magnesium center balls are -by memory about 900 grams, seem strong but I do not find them as smooth. Then there is the Foba miniball, at 550-650 grams. This is a very smooth, strong head. The Studioball is very smooth but it is 1400 g. The Kirk has a good reputation, but it is heavy. Linhof has balls in the 500-750 range. I tried what I think is one of these but did not find it smooth. I think that your choice may be between the Foba miniball and the Arca B1e. -Foba has another the Super ball at 1290 grams, a little heavy but a great ball, very smooth and sturdy.

Gitzo 1325 + Arca B1

Dear Michael,

I have been using the Manfrotto #410 for more than two years now. I'm quite happy with it but noy completely. I'ts quite light, smooth, and small and it's great when new. But after using it for some months you will find it's getting looser and looser.

I keep on using it but I'm not so happy with it than I was when I bought it. My LF pictures are still sharp but I don't have long lenses. When I use it with a 600mm lens in 35mmm cameras I get sharp pictures but, you know, with a large format camera, when wind blows.... you need a strong support.

I cannot advise you about any head. I just wanted to warn you about the diference between a new Manfrotto #410 and a two years old one.

Francesc

I backpack with a Wista field camera and use Bogen 3001 legs with the Bogen 3028 super 3D head. This head is a fair bit lighter than an Arca-Swiss B1 with associated quick release and plates, is very quick to attach a camera to and is rock solid. It takes a little getting used to as compared with either a tradiational pan/tilt head or a ball, but for backpacking every ounce counts. Hence don't even consider the Bogen geared heads.

1325 plus Linhof 3-way levelling head at about 900g. If you want a bit less weight and don't mind a ball head, the Arca B1 is the ticket.