Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What Host Site(s) Do You Use For Your Website(s)?

What Host Site(s) Do You Use For Your Website(s)?

For those who have their own websites, what hosting site (or hosting sites) do you use as a place to put your website for internet access?

> What do you like about them?

> What's their maximum space alloted per customer.

> What don't you like about them?

> How much do they charge per year for hosting a website?

> How much do they charge per year for domain name registration or renewal?

> What kind of technical support do they provide?

> How long have you used them, and would you recommend or not recommend them?

I'm asking, because I'm looking for a hosting site for a friend's site. But in general, I thought it would be interesting to hear about the different sites that people use, and why they might be good for photography.

I'll start.

I'm currently using www.ipowerweb.com. It's a little more expensive at about $97 per year, but they have a system that enables one to host up to 100 websites as sub-domains for that price, and their annual renewal for domain names is $6.95/name/year. As to sub-domains, to visitors it looks the same as separate websites. I have multiple websites that I want to upload, so this plan works well for me.

They alot up to 50 gigabytes for those up to 100 sub-domain websites and 750 gigabytes transfer. (Whatever the latter means?)

They have quite decent technical support BY PHONE! However, they avoid getting into questions about website design, and concentrate on possible problems with hosting. Still, after getting the right person, they helped me solve problems on uploading a website for the first time and instructed me on some stuff that could technically come under the "design" umbrella.

Not too much to dislike about them, except that one guy turned me down on helping me with something that someone else said they could help me with prior to my signing up. I called back again, got someone else, and no problem.

I like them, but too new to recommend them yet.

I tried 1sthostweb.com. Yuk! I needed technical support to get going, and using their email tech support didn't work. Might be OK otherwise, but I didn't get that far. Their "tech" support also didn't help me repointing my domain name that I have registered there. I had to go to sales to get that done, even though that service request falls under the tech support umbrella. Tech support also couldn't help me with something that turned out to be extremely simple. They said it was too complicated to answer. Their tech support was outsourced I think. Their written text had an obvious accent. (I don't mind the accent; I just needed the help.)

Re: What Host Site(s) Do You Use For Your Website(s)?

theplanet.com

I've a dual 2.8 xeon box with dual 160GB drives and max bandwidth of 2.5TB/month.
    The server is managed, 100% uptime SLA, with 24/7 phone/ticket tech support. Highly recommended, and an excellent value at $220/month.
    Last edited by QT Luong; 5-Dec-2006 at 00:22.

Quote Originally Posted by QT Luong View Post
    max bandwidth of 2.5TB/month
    < gulp >

A different "planet", indeed.

Thanks to Neil for posting his questions - I'd like to add another: how much bandwidth do you need for your site, and what kind of site is it? That is, I'm curious to get a sense of the range typically needed to support a modest personal site aimed at sharing work with friends, vs a "serious" gallery site with e-commerce pretensions, vs a megasite like QT's.

I'm using hostgator.com - they have several hosting plans - a basic one is $10/month. They charge by the month, which I have decided I like. I previously used a host that charged annually, and when they failed me, I was stuck with having paid for several months that I would not use. Both addon and subdomains are allowed.

Hostgator has proved very reliable over the 10-months I've used it.
    juan

Daniel Geiger

I used to be with ipower, until they screwed up my e-mail most royally, lost a bunch, and in the end had to tell them what went wrong at their end. They switched my account from one server to the other without telling me, so reference links got screwed up. I asked them to credit back the remainder, but don't thingk I got anything back. Not worth checking into for the few bucks.

I am now with startlogic. For the same price as ipower ($100/a) I get 10x the storgage (5GB). Tech support has been adequate, though I only had a few simple requests (e.g., reset password). My site is also pretty flat html, no flash, do database, no e-commerce. Just ftp-setup, and a couple of e-mail accounts. ipower and startlogic use the same server software so the transition was very smooth.

If you don't know what transfer rates are, most likely you don't need to be concerned about them. With my low cost option, I use about 1&#37; of transfer rate. Webup load is limited to files to about 30MB, for larger files you have to use a ftp-utility.

Wow. "Ipowerweb.com" looks great.

I use FutureQuest. My humble website uses their cheapest package (Visionary) with 100MB of storage space (of which I have used 33MB) and a 5GB bandwidth. I pay $100. per year approx. for the site and one "IRO". Their service has been excellent for the 14 months I have been with them.

Holy crap! How is "StartLogic" so cheap!?

I use DreamHost which is one of the older and larger hosting companies. www.dreamhost.com

> What do you like about them?

They are straightforward and large enough that I am sure I wil get the support I need. They are not particularly geared to the casual lower end user but can serve them fine. The services that they offer are very complete including a couple of web commerce extras that you would pay hundreds for elsewhere. They weren't my first hosting company but unless something better comes along they will be my last.

> What's their maximum space alloted per customer.

Depends on the plan you are using and how long you have been with them. I have 436.7 GB of storage and 5.028TB of monthly bandwith. This is on what they call their code monster plan and I have been with them for 18 months. Storage and bandwith keep increasing the longer you are a customer.

> What don't you like about them?

Nothing really. If anything it is that they offer so much that it can get confusing if you ae not a megauser.

> How much do they charge per year for hosting a website?

Depends on the plan. The most popular plan works out to $15.95 a month with a 2 year advance purchase. This price includes a discount from a rebate coupon that I can provide, otherwise 19.95 a month. This is also not the whole story because it includes an unlimited number of website and 3000 email adresses per website as long as the total usage stays within the bandwith/storage space. I am currently running 3 sites there and have a 4th in the wings. Two of these sites are fairly active, one of them an education site with a cadre of 200 odd folk participating in discussions, etc. Even with that I use only a small fraction of the storage and the bandwith.

> How much do they charge per year for domain name registration or renewal?

One is free and additional ones are 9.95 a year or less depending on the number of years registered.

> What kind of technical support do they provide?

24/7 ticket email and telephone tech support but phone support is limited for some plans. Additionally, they have a huge, easy-to-access kbowledge base. They will help with simple site design questions, will help a lot with setting up e commerce options, running forums, bulletin boards, etc. Knowledgable about vBulletin (sort of).

> How long have you used them, and would you recommend or not recommend them?

I'd absolutely recommend them but if you have fairly light usage you might find others services are beetter for your needs.

My website is hosted through 1AND1.com. I used their Business Solution, which gives me the following:

I can host three different dedicated domains.
    I have a total of 200GB of storage.
    I can have up to 2,000GB of traffic per month without incurring extra charges.
    It allows 1,995 more email addresses than I need (anyone want to rent an email address?)

It costs $9.95 per month.
    Michael W. Graves
    Michael's Pub

If it ain't broke....don't fix it!