Thread: remote controlled areal photography

remote controlled areal photography

i have become very interested in antique views of cities, greco's view of toledo, and especialy topographical studies like those of anton van der wyngaerde.

as a poor photographer, however, one of the constraints that i have to deal with is getting the desired vantage point, but this looks like a great tool:

http://www.balloide-photo.com/ENGLISH/index.php

limited to a small format digital camera and as a franchise comes packaged with a "driver" who is going to hold copyright.

i don't suppose anyone out there has a cheap, stable, extendable platform that'll get a 4x5 and a tripod to about 500 ft.?

no?

adrian

Re: remote controlled areal photography

A hot-air balloon, perhaps? Depending on your location, a local balloon pilot might offer private flights at a not-too-unreasonable price. Around here (Rio Rancho/Albuquerque, New Mexico) the range is $150-$250, depending on timing and weather. That wouldn't be remote control, however.

If fuel cost is an issue, I hear they can be powered by politicians, as well.

For lesser altitudes (in the tens of feet), you might look at the Luksa extendable tripods:

http://www.luksa.com/home.html

well if we could harness all the political hot air, we could get some satelitte pictures in our baloon!

nice idea though, plenty of windless days here in spain.

Hey,

When I was at Carnegie Mellon a grad student (Cassandra Jones) was flying kites with a camera attached to them and a remote controlled shutter release servo thingy.

some of her new work is here: http://www.larramendygallery.com/artists/jones.html

anyways.

might be worth it to see how she did it. further, it wouldn't be that hard to take the balloon idea and run with it, modifying a remote controlled helicopter or even a RC blimp (http://www.rctoys.com/) to do this. attaching a RC servo would take a bit of research but could work.... or make yourself a pneumatic 500' long shutter release.

man, the thought of doing this is way cool!

well... that is some "toyshop" but thinking it through it's not just getting achieving the higher perspective and controlling a decent remote camera up there...

also studying some of those antique city/landscapes you can see both travelling panorama, and false panoramic techniques, so pretty presice navigation would be needed to get the photographic raw material.

already my lab costs are are a sorepoint in my house so perhaps on a more practical level the trick would be to find raised natural vantages... building a blimp would probably get me certified!

any budget ideas out there??

Looking at the RC link false_Aesthetic provided, the Draganflyer X-Pro Industrial RC helicopter runs almost $5,000 and has a payload of 1 pound. At $5K/lb, a unit able to carry an LF camera aloft might carry a hefty budget - especially if one considers a view-synchronized video feed to know when to activate the shutter on the LF camera, and the weight of a Binford 9200 automatic film-holder exchanger.

That hot-air balloon ride is looking better all the time.

As a quasi-related aside, I believe there was a thread a few months ago about someone who was doing aerial panoramics with a Cirkut camera, similar to those done decades ago.

Aerial kite photography is a hobby with a (relatively) large following, but I don't think the payload and the risk to the camera make it suitable for LF.

no, large format would seem out of the question for kite or "blimp" or other remote controlled photography. from what i can see here commercialy in spain, short of having a big budget, the best that we have is smallformat autofocus digital which comes packaged with a franchise.

looks like i have to make some friends at the "hot air" club, or do a crash hang gliding course!

certainly the hot air baloon an elegant way to work, and a great idea, as far as cameras go, a wide angle 120 with a level would surfice to make the initial shots...
    Last edited by adrian tyler; 3-Dec-2006 at 13:23. Reason: clarity of expression

Confidently Agnostic!

There are a lot of people doing aerial photography. One of the more challenging types involves R/C helicopters, which are very difficult and expensive to fly without the added challenge and cost of photography There are a few forums online dedicated to that hobby (R/C helis in general, not just aerial photography) - e.g., helifever.com.

Easier and cheaper methods of course involve balloons or kites, I don't know much about those. I did see a link somewhere to a large format kite project (to reproduce some famous old shot of san fransisco done in a similar fashion).

I'd be concerned about vibration with a helicopter. A blimp seems tro me to be the most feasible concept.