Thread: Questions: 4x5 Fuji Velvia Film

Questions: 4x5 Fuji Velvia Film

4x5 Velvia is a very popular film as everyone knows. I would like all input from users as to the reciprocity times they found in practical field shooting at ver y slow speeds. Also any usefull info on the exposure limits(sunny day) shooting vs overcast day. Nightime shooting also. Any metering hints for using a hand h eld spot meter (fast) to come up with on the nose exposures in any lighting sit uation. I would like to hear from those who have been there and done that. No s peculations please. Contact: talltandj@aol.com Tom

Despite the fact that I "know" there is supposed to be Reciprocity Failure with all fillms when you make real long (or real short exposures,) IMHO i don't have that much of a problem with RVP or RDPII. Most recently this is bas ed on some skyline photos where my exposures ranged from 30sec. to 2 minutes (as indicated by my Minolta Spot F). To take into account possible reciprocity fail ure I made a series of exposures at 2.5,at 3 and 4 minutes. these were, to my t aste, definitely overexposed. The best exposure was 2min 15sec. I didn't try usi ng a filter as I was dealing with several different light sources (fire, theatri cal spots, ambient city light, but a CC05R or CC10R wouldn't have hurt. I do not think that there is one correct answer to your metering question. It depends o n the shooting situation (subject & ambient flare), your lenses, meter, lab, and finallly you judgement, but start by rating your RVP at ISO 40 for daylight sit uation. Finally, I shoot Quickloads in the Fuji back. The initial cost is overwh elmed by the practicality (sp?) of the system, especially when I am travelling.

I have been using the reciprocity failure compensation times recommended by John Shaw for the past few years and have had good results: 8 sec., +1/2; 16 sec. , +2/3 1 min., +1 1/3. I rate Velvia at ISO 40 and do not use any color correction filters with long ex posures.

I shoot Velvia and Provia in 4x5, but I seldom have exposure times longer than 1 0-20 sec. Info provided by Fuji confirms what Mark said (1/2 stop at 8 sec, 2/3 at 16 sec.) Also, I find that a simple incident reading gets me the most keepers .

I've used the following table for Velvia which was published in a View Camera ar ticle several years ago. I rate Velvia at ISO 50. time time to use 2 2 4 5 8 11 12 17 16 24 24 38 32 53 45 80 60 110 90 176 120 246

These are within 1/3 stop of the other responses. You should be aware that vari ations among meters and personal preferences mean that you will still have to do some testing of your own.

Regarding how to use a spot meter - I don't think that there is a simple solutio n to that question. Your choice of exposure shuld be dictated by artistic consi derations. I would suggest doing some experimenting with your spot meter on a s unny 16 day. Get an idea of how much variation there is among the various compo nents in a scene. You should also get an idea of what a mid-tone looks like. W hen you're done, I think you'll see that it is nearly impossible to use a spot m eter to get a "correct" exposure. But with some practice, you'll learn to get e xposures that you like. Relax and try to let your instincts guide you.

No matter how much you use your meter, there will be times when you may not be s ure what exposure you want. Rather than bracket exposures, make 2 or more image s of your composition at the same exposure. If the light is changing, and each exposure must be different, base your exposure on a meter reading of the same ob ject in your composition for image. Develop only one sheet of film, and look at it on your light table. Then you can push or pull the other sheets as needed t o get the exposure that you like.

Good luck! Bruce

Wow, this editor really blew my little table!

The numbers in my original answer are supposed to form two columns. So take the m off in pairs. For instance, 8 seconds indicated by your meter means 11 second s of exposure time.

Note that Fuji recommends about +2/3 stop, or roughly 14 seconds, as indicated b y a previous response. I have to admit that I work more with Fuji's recommendat ions at times under about 16 seconds, and more with this table for greater times . But try it and modify to suit your own taste.

Bruce