Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Paris with 8x10

Paris with 8x10

Just got back from Paris a couple of weeks ago. Richard d'Amore told me before my trip that if I don't take my 8x10 camera I'd be really sorry. Parisians are wonderful people and like Richard said, "there is someting to photograph every 5 feet."
    Putting aside fears of airport security and the thought of lugging 78 lbs. of gear through the streets of central Paris I ordered a Wesco two-wheel folding dolly. It is small enough for stashing under the seat and has 4" rubber wheels which handle the cobblestonestreets pretty well. Purchased at handtrucks.com.
    Three lenses and 6 film holders went into a backpack and the Zone VI 8x10 in a jewelers case (not unlike an accordian hard case). The case fit perfectly into the the overhead compartment of the plane. Bungy straps held the case securely to the dolly as I wheeled it around the city while carrying my gitzo tripod in the other hand.
    Airport security here in US and at CDG airport was not a problem. On two occasions they wanted to look at a lens but that was it. No interest was shown in loaded film holders or unopened boxes of Bergger film. I did UPS my exposed film back home at a cost of $100. Well worth the price if you ask me and it arrived two days after I did.
    So for all you large format artisians giving thoughts of overseas adventure I recommend you load 'em up and head out!

Re: Paris with 8x10

Exactly!

So when do we get so see some of your images?

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Finley View Post
    Just got back from Paris a couple of weeks ago. Richard d'Amore told me before my trip that if I don't take my 8x10 camera I'd be really sorry. Parisians are wonderful people and like Richard said, "there is someting to photograph every 5 feet." ... So for all you large format artisians giving thoughts of overseas adventure I recommend you load 'em up and head out!

Cool

Eric Woodbury

Robert, you are brave. How was it? Did setting up a tripod cause a problem for the French? How many shots?

Unfortunately my tech know how is limited. I know I need to get a website but being a plt/pld printer I'm a century behind these digital times. Suggestions on how to share images would be appreciated.
    Last edited by Robert Finley; 27-Nov-2006 at 12:58. Reason: change wording

Way to go.
    BTW a great book on this stuff is "Paris: Photographs by Geoffrey James", still available from amazon. AFAIK all images taken with an 8x10.

Scott Davis

Robert- find someone who lives near you with a scanner, and have him/her scan a few images for you. You can then post them here as attachments, or you can use a pre-made website template to design a site. Your internet service provider (ISP) may already give you some space for free, or will provide it for a minimal amount per month.

The works of Eugene Atget are also quite nice. Being of the old Paris before the wars and modernization it is really nice to see Paris as it was and then compare it ot how it is now.

Quote Originally Posted by Walter Foscari View Post
    Way to go.
    BTW a great book on this stuff is "Paris: Photographs by Geoffrey James", still available from amazon. AFAIK all images taken with an 8x10.
    Yes - Geoffrey's is a wonderful book - luminous. All 8x10 (Phillips) and I think his usual Tri-X in D23 (and lots of Dagors...).

BTW - he has a new book of his panoramic work in Toronto out (the printing isn't up to "Paris" though - which is very well printed)
    You'd be amazed how small the demand is for pictures of trees... - Fred Astaire to Audrey Hepburn

www.photo-muse.blogspot.com blog

Quote Originally Posted by Alan Rabe View Post
    The works of Eugene Atget are also quite nice. Being of the old Paris before the wars and modernization it is really nice to see Paris as it was and then compare it ot how it is now.
    Alan - are you a master of understatement... :-) Quite nice?
    You'd be amazed how small the demand is for pictures of trees... - Fred Astaire to Audrey Hepburn

www.photo-muse.blogspot.com blog