Thread: B&W film for high contrast ?

B&W film for high contrast ?

Hello,

It seems lately the days I have off for photos are bright and clear...I have a shooting window from 10 am to 12 lunch. I am trying to advoid high contrast situations but sometimes this is a no win situation..one can use contrast to produce a great image and I am learning this slowly. My question is are there any B&W films that handle high contrast better..so a little more detail is visible and the contrast is not so harsh.I am shooting Agfa APX100...maybe a 400 asa film would be a better direction to go.

Thanks Gerry

Re: B&W film for high contrast ?

Fortepan 400 will capture the greatest contrast range (see reference below). HP5 or TMY are capable of capturing a greater contrast range than most other films. Pyrocat-HD or HC-110 are good developers for semi-stand to compress the tonal range. I have done a 14 stop range with TMY and Pyrocat-HD, 18 stops are possible.

http://unblinkingeye.com/Articles/PC-HD/pc-hd.html
    Last edited by Ron Marshall; 21-Nov-2006 at 06:20.

in general, 400 ISO films are less contrasty than slower films. Also, a variation in the developer and agitation can go a long way toward controlling contrast. I find HP5+ excellent for highcontrast scenes when used with a variety of developers so long as time and agitation are controlled.

I'd suggest that not only do Forte (aka Classic and .EDU Made in Hungary) and TMY capture exceptional range, the Forte also has a very good response to N+ and N- development, about the best I've encountered (though I honestly haven't tried a whole bunch of films for this). Forte also has the advantage of being very reasonably priced, especially in the Freestyle boxes...

One very important difference to be aware of -- TMY captures a wide range by simply refusing to block up; it'll go up to Zone XII or XIII without losing detail (though the range may exceed what you can print without trickery), but you still want to expose by metering normally. Fortepan, OTOH, *will* block up beyond Zone IX or X if you don't apply a development control, which will require that you increase exposure slightly to compensate.
    If a contact print at arm's length is too small to see, you need a bigger camera. :D

HP5+ is generally considered a medium contrast film.