Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wollensak Velostigmat and Wollensak Verito

Wollensak Velostigmat and Wollensak Verito

Anyone out there have experience with these lenses?

Re: Wollensak Velostigmat and Wollensak Verito

I have an uncoated 162mm Velostigmat II aboard a 4x5 Anny Speed Graphic. It is the tessar type, not the Velostigmat with the "dial-in bokeh" feature, but IMHO it is a very fine protrait lens just the same (an opinion shared ny the college prof who owned the speeder before me---the camera came from her estate and she was well known locally for her portraiture) I don't have a Verito to compare it to, but I do know that Veritos are a lot larger and heavier than equivalent focal length Velostigmats. I hope this helps.
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White

I have a 14½" Verito, and love it. Very diffuse wide open, but sharpens considerably by f11. Even at apertures small enough to eliminate most of the diffusion, the bokeh and overall image quality are excellent. Getting to know one of these lenses requires a commitment, but it's worth it for me.

Jay

Yes, quite a lot. You can see images done with both at my little web page.

http://tonopahpictures.0catch.com

The Velostigmat was a general purpose lens of high quality and the 3 largest sizes, 9.5, 12, and 15.5 inch all could be ordered with a diffusion ring at the front to diffuse them for portraiture. Not really necessary though because where they really shine for portraiture is wide open at f4.5. The result is very similar to a Heliar. Sharp in the focus plane which can be quite shallow at f4.5 and the rest is just creamy smooth. Here's a recent shot that shows sharpness stopped down.

The Verito is a very different animal. Wide open at f4 it is VERY diffuse. From f4 to f8 you literally choose the amount of diffusion you're after. Here's an ancient bristlecone done with the Verito @ f6 and a Kodak 7X11 format camera.

A page about the Velostigmat. Another with Velostigmat used on the first 2 pics. And a page that has some Verito Portraiture.

I have a 12" Velostigmat that is extra just now. Contact me offline if interested. Not supposed to advertise in the threads.

"Velostigmat", like "Raptar" later on, was Wollensak's name for their whole anastigmat lens line. It included f12.5 extreme wide angle lenses up to the f4.5 that Jim Galli is talking about.

"Verito" lenses were probably the most common of the several types of Wollensak soft focus non-anastigmat types. They are in considerable demand today, many years after they were made.

Quote Originally Posted by Ernest Purdum View Post
    "Velostigmat", like "Raptar" later on, was Wollensak's name for their whole anastigmat lens line. It included f12.5 extreme wide angle lenses up to the f4.5 that Jim Galli is talking about.

"Verito" lenses were probably the most common of the several types of Wollensak soft focus non-anastigmat types. They are in considerable demand today, many years after they were made.
    Thanks Ernest, I should have included that. Velostigmat:

Series I, is a double or triple convertible very similar to the Zeiss Protar VII design.

Series II, is what I described above and what I automatically thought of when mentioned with the Verito.

Series III, is the f12.5 EWA Extra Wide Angle

Series IV, is a cheaper f6.3 dialyte type.

others? I think the f9.5 wide angle is a IIIa?

Uh, Jim, Rochester inconsistency strikes again.

My only Velostigmat is a tiny 3"/4.5 Ser. II in Rapax. Perfectly ordinary little tessar type with fixed cell spacing. Its only claim to fame is that is seems to cover 2x3. If, that is, by covers one means "is as soft in the center as in the corners," i.e., very soft all over.

Cheers,

Dan

I have two Verito's, one Velopstigmat with variable softness and a Veritar.
    Jim GAlli's explanation essentialy tells it all. Each of the lenses is different and yields a different image. But each is excellent when used for its stated purpose.

Jim

I just got a Velostigmat II with the dial-in soft focus. Here is a shot, developed in caffenol+c, f/5.6 with out any dialed-in adjustment:

Man, I cannot wait to get my Velo II cranking! Nice shots guys!
    Last edited by Jack Flesher; 21-Nov-2006 at 15:38.
    Jack Flesher

www.getdpi.com