Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: tmax rs developer

tmax rs developer

Hey,

I just ran some hp5 (and then some plus-x rolls) through tmax rs dev. Everything came out soooooooooper underdeveloped. (The stuff I exposed 3 stops over was still under developed).

Kodak's tech pub says that plus-x should be developed for 4.25min @ 68 degrees
    Ilford says hp5 for 6.5min.

So I think maybe these times were suggested for the stock solution (1:4 ratio) Which is all fine and dandy except that I'm gonna run out of dev. quickly.

How do I calculate the times for the 1:9 I "hear" people talking about? Do I just double the time?

Thanks

T

Re: tmax rs developer

Hello! I´m not sure about HP5. At 5 degrees and 1 to 9, TMax 400 takes about 8 minutes for normal development. At 1 to 7 and 68 degrees, its about 7min 30 sec. Best regards.

Mike

Jut to be sure:
    You do know that TMax RS is the Replenisher, and not the developer....

I hope that doesn't sound patronising...

Marc

Quote Originally Posted by Marc View Post
    Jut to be sure:
    You do know that TMax RS is the Replenisher, and not the developer....

I hope that doesn't sound patronising...

Marc
    Not exactly: TMax RS is both the developer and also its own replenisher. It is not the replenisher for TMax Developer! See:
    http://www.kodak.com/global/en/profe...g/tMaxRS.jhtml
    and
    http://www.kodak.com/global/en/profe....7.16.14&lc=en

Quote Originally Posted by Arne Croell View Post
    Not exactly: TMax RS is both the developer and also its own replenisher. It is not the replenisher for TMax Developer!
    Bu****! There I go again... Sorry, My bad.

Marc

Hello! How are you diluting the developer? If you follow the directions, it comes to 1:3. Best regards.

Mike

I mixed the thick stuff (big bottle + small bottle) with H2O to make 1 gallon (this is what the directions said . . . ha! they were in spanish)

Then diluted that 1:4 (as was suggested by dudes in another forum) to make a 1:9 working solution.

Thanks

T

p.s. Yeah Tmax RS dev is suggested for the tmax sheet film. . . Thought I'd give it a try on other films too.

Quote Originally Posted by false_Aesthetic View Post
    I mixed the thick stuff (big bottle + small bottle) with H2O to make 1 gallon (this is what the directions said . . . ha! they were in spanish)

Then diluted that 1:4 (as was suggested by dudes in another forum) to make a 1:9 working solution.

Thanks

T

p.s. Yeah Tmax RS dev is suggested for the tmax sheet film. . . Thought I'd give it a try on other films too.
    I think the concentrate bottle for making 1 gallon contains about a quart, so making the stock solution would be 1:3 as indicated by Michael. Now if you dilute all of that 1:4 you end up with 5 gallons. 1 quart in five gallons is 1:19, not 1:9...! So you're about a factor of 2 too dilute.
    I usually pour the small package into the concentrate, shake well, and then make the 1: 9 directly from the concentrate.

Hmm

Maybe I misread it all. I should've done what you do and use just dillute the thick stuff 1:9

Doh!

Quote Originally Posted by Arne Croell View Post
    I think the concentrate bottle for making 1 gallon contains about a quart, so making the stock solution would be 1:3 as indicated by Michael. Now if you dilute all of that 1:4 you end up with 5 gallons. 1 quart in five gallons is 1:19, not 1:9...! So you're about a factor of 2 too dilute.
    I usually pour the small package into the concentrate, shake well, and then make the 1: 9 directly from the concentrate.
    I just checked, the concentrate for one gallon is actually less than a quart, its 772ml, resulting in 1+4 for the 1 gallon of stock solution, making it even worse.

I learned the 1:9 from concentrate method from John Sexton at a workshop in 1993 or so and have used it ever since with no problems.
    Arne