Thread: Looking for compact fluorescent bulbs w/3500-4200K CRI>90

Question Looking for compact fluorescent bulbs w/3500-4200K CRI>90

I know there are full-spectrum compact fluorescent blubs that have color temperature of 5000-6500K and CRI of 90 or above, and other compact fluorescents with CRI of only around 80.

I am wondering if there are compact fluorescent blubs with warmer color (3500-4200K) but higher level of CRI (near 90 or higher).
    If so, where can I find them? (online or in store)
    If not, what are the closest things available?

Thanks.

Re: Looking for compact fluorescent bulbs w/3500-4200K CRI>90

Thanks,
    Kirk

at age 73:
    "The woods are lovely, dark and deep,
    But I have promises to keep,
    And miles to go before I sleep,
    And miles to go before I sleep"

Terrance, the aswer is yes and the place to find them at the absolute lowest price is an aquarium store. Some of the bulbs they sell are daylight balanced and cost way less than the same bulbs sold to photographers. Been using them for years.

I can recommend the kits and bulbs from http://ahsupply.com/

I have been using their 55W 5500K bulbs for several years and am very pleased with them. Their kits are DIY, and are quite resonably priced. They are significantly cheaper and brighter than a Kinoflo.

My lighting system consists of two boxes with 2 x 55W bulbs each, and two boxes of 4 x 55W bulbs. I have a few sheets of opaque acrylic which work as soft-screens which I can put over them. The lights work well with color trannies (although they have a slight blue tinge to them, so I use a CC filter), B&W, and digital. But best of all they work great for alternative process; both in camera and prints.

Sorry Terrance, wasn't reading carefully. Daylight balance, of course, will do you no good ...

Sorry, my apologies also. I didn't read your request carefully.

Anyhow, I don't think that anything less than 5000K could have a CRI in the 90s.
    Last edited by Jason Greenberg Motamedi; 17-Nov-2006 at 19:38.

Travelin' on the Mobius strip Chris_Brown's Avatar

KinoFlo has excellent equipment, and they offer bulbs in three different color temperatures, but they are pricey.

There's also Lowel lighting systems, and Gyoury lighting systems, and Mole-Richardson (an long-time Hollywood staple), and Videssence systems. All of these companies offer tube-style lamps and industrial ballasts, which offer a broader, flicker-free light source.

Other companies are offering fixtures with bulb lamps, such as Bowens, but it's a smaller light source, and if the ballast isn't heavy duty you'll run into flicker problems.

Now, if you're after only the bulbs, you can order lamps from any of these companies and develop your own fixture from parts at Radio Shack or a lighting supplier.

Good luck!

Yes they are available. Made by Osram and are available from any lighting supply store. Made in at least 36 and 55W versions. Barbizon Lighting or Bulbman are two sources. They are called Duolux tubes.

Bulbman has about any kind of bulb that is made.

Quote Originally Posted by Terence View Post
    I know there are full-spectrum compact fluorescent blubs that have color temperature of 5000-6500K and CRI of 90 or above, and other compact fluorescents with CRI of only around 80.

I am wondering if there are compact fluorescent blubs with warmer color (3500-4200K) but higher level of CRI (near 90 or higher).
    If so, where can I find them? (online or in store)
    If not, what are the closest things available?

Thanks.
    You can also check with Atlanta Bulbs.

http://www.atlantalightbulbs.com/index.html

Don Bryant