View Poll Results: Should there be an area for posts about old (non-supported) equipment?

Voters
45. You may not vote on this poll
  • No, it is not necessary

24 53.33%
  • Yes, it would be helpful

21 46.67%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Poll: Old Camara/Gear forum area?

Poll: Old Camara/Gear forum area?

If I can figure out how to start a poll here, I'd like to get one going on this subject. It has been the subject of a thread in the On Photography section, and strong opinions against and for have been posted. Please review the thread and cast a poll vote here

Pro: An area where owners of old equipment can go to find information would make it easier to zero in on appropriate posts and would allow that smaller community to share ideas without their posts dissapearing quickly due to the preponderance of posts on newer equipment on the Forum.

Con: It would complicate the Forum structure and it is unnecessary since older equipment is not essentially different than state-of-the-art equipment.
    Last edited by Rafael Garcia; 11-Nov-2006 at 06:30.

Re: Poll: Old Camara/Gear forum area?

why not have a coffee forum also?

Maybe a recipe forum also?

lee\c

hmm... I like coffee!

Lee, I believe coffee and recipes would not be appropriate subjects for a LF photography board. Maybe you could start your own poll on this?

When does something count as old? Is my circa 1973 Tech V "old," even though it has most of the features of a new Master Tech? What about the Gandolfi traditional users, who might have a new camera that is almost identical to a 50-year-old camera?

If there were a collectibles forum, that might attract mainly collectors of 19th-century plate cameras, daguerreotype cameras, or the very collectible tropical cameras.

My thought is that any camera user needing non-available parts or information would look there. I wasn't thinking of cut-off dates or anything like that. It would be a forum where information on parts, etc. is a LOT more informed than the current option, which is eBay.

How hard can it be? It's like having folders on your hard disk. Does having a "My Documents" folder separate from a "Program Files' folder confuse you? If it does, then the extra area might be a problem. The other 99.8% of us will be able to manage.

If you simply aren't interested in the posts, then don't read them. But why object to providing a specific area for the posts? It's just another way of organizing data.
    Michael W. Graves
    Michael's Pub

If it ain't broke....don't fix it!

Quote Originally Posted by Rafael Garcia View Post
    My thought is that any camera user needing non-available parts or information would look there. I wasn't thinking of cut-off dates or anything like that. It would be a forum where information on parts, etc. is a LOT more informed than the current option, which is eBay.
    I think what David was alluding to is that absent a tight definition of what a sub-forum is supposed to contain, posters won't be sure where a question should go. Thus, those looking for information end up having to look through multiple sub-forums, and thread titles often don't provide the needed clues.

Part of the strategy behind the initial set of sub-forums was to recognize the practical side of how people post and to provide a minimal set of sub-forums that was reasonably logical.

Rafael,

Why don't you start your own Vintage Camera Forum? You seem to be passionate about it so my guess is you would put the necessary work into setting it up. If you need instructions on how to do it, PM me.

The alternative did occur to me. Frankly I would not have the time to spend doing the hard work of moderating, etc., so I am guilty of a certain hypocresy by trying to have it done by others. I believe it would be advantageous, but wouldn't be asking if I thought it would be counter-productive in this great place. The structure is existing, and it would just be another folder, one of many, as Mr. Graves states. As to the current organization, I can say there are areas I never visit because they seem not to pertain to things I'm interested in. Perhaps one more esoteric interest will not hurt any more than the ones already up.

El Pueblo de Nuestra Señora la Reina de los Ángeles de Porciúncula

[B]Cameras & Camera Accessories (34 Viewing)
    Large format cameras of all types and sizes.[/B]

Maybe the LFF Managing-Director could add "and ages" to the forum description?