Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: HP5, TXP or TMY for portraits

Re: HP5, TXP or TMY for portraits

If you plan to stick with PyroCat, you might be interested to know that Sandy King, who gave us the recipe, has tested a variety of films in the same ISO category. Based on his sensitometry and empirical results, he recommends TMY over the other 2 films you mention.

I'm just an amateur, but I have had good luck with the combination in 5x7, for portraits.

Here is one recently made on an old Kodak 2A, with a Fujinon 240A. The 11x14 looks quite smooth.

No reason to change if you are happy.

To my eye the difference between Tri-X and TMY is readily visible, so you should pay your money and take your choice. Me, I prefer Tri-X, but that just shows that there is no accounting for taste...

Quote Originally Posted by CXC View Post
    No reason to change if you are happy.

To my eye the difference between Tri-X and TMY is readily visible, so you should pay your money and take your choice. Me, I prefer Tri-X, but that just shows that there is no accounting for taste...
    Why do you prefer Tri-x over TMY?

I'm happy with TMY, but I have not tried the other two. I chose TMY for its reciprocity charecteristics for night shots I have been doing.
    Last edited by Ron Marshall; 16-Nov-2006 at 20:05.

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Lee View Post
    If you plan to stick with PyroCat, you might be interested to know that Sandy King, who gave us the recipe, has tested a variety of films in the same ISO category. Based on his sensitometry and empirical results, he recommends TMY over the other 2 films you mention.

I'm just an amateur, but I have had good luck with the combination in 5x7, for portraits.

Here is one recently made on an old Kodak 2A, with a Fujinon 240A. The 11x14 looks quite smooth.
    Thanks Ken. I have seen that before while visiting your site. I enjoy your work very much.

I am very happy with Pcat with FP4 and TMY.

I'll have a read of what Sandy has written about TMY.

Anchell and Troop say that traditional grain films render highlights more smoothly, so I thought that might be a plus for portraits.

Also, and much less importantly, the time-(contrast index) curves on Unblinking Eye of HP5 in Pcat are much flatter than those for TMY, which of course is not a good thing for zone system use in general photography; but for studio portraiture with controlled lighting that permits a less precise development regimen.
    Last edited by Ron Marshall; 16-Nov-2006 at 20:15.

Funny about reciprocity -- to me, the fact that it breaks down for long exposures means that you don't have to be so accurate with length of exposure: make it somewhat longer than you think you need, and you will be sure to get plenty of light, but don't really risk getting too much.

I find the TMax look flat, boring and too mid-toney, preferring the bolder, brassier Tri-X.

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Marshall View Post
    Anchell and Troop say that traditional grain films render highlights more smoothly, so I thought that might be a plus for portraits.

Also, and much less importantly, the time-(contrast index) curves on Unblinking Eye of HP5 in Pcat are much flatter than those for TMY, which of course is not a good thing for zone system use in general photography; but for studio portraiture with controlled lighting that permits a less precise development regimen.
    I don't recall if Anchell and Troop included PyroCat HD in their study, or they might have phrased things differently regarding this general trend.

I discovered that HP5's reputation (a rather precipitous dropoff and a rather flat response to high values) is not unfounded. This makes it a very unforgiving film in my experience. In this photo (8x10) I had a heck of a time getting a print with texture in the high values - They just seemed to turn into chalk. And that's by contact print. Also note the area under the woman's hair. It just seems to have dropped off into black.

I stopped using HP5 as soon as I could.

TMY, on the other hand, seems to have as straight a response curve as I have found anywhere, making it more tolerant, and more of a candidate for experimentation with Development By Inspection.
    Last edited by Ken Lee; 17-Nov-2006 at 10:16.

Thanks Ken, very interesting about the HP5 curve. On Ilfords site it looks very similar to the TMY curve. I have some HP5 in 120 which I'll try in a controlled lighting situation just for fun, but I don't doubt what you have said.

I am very happy with TMY in Pyrocat-HD and just curious about HP5, I'm not on a grail quest.

Especially since I just tested Fp4 and TMY with XTOL, Pyrocat and Rodinal. The differences are there but very slight: a little more grain here, slightly sharper there, slightly better midtone or highlight separation. The most important thing I learned from the testing was how difficult it is to subjectively judge a negative; unless the negatives being compared are both developed to the optimal CI.

I looked at the image you linked and I think I see what you mean; the highlights do seem chalky, but it is difficult to judge on a monitor.

Pyrocat didn't exist when Anchell and Troop did their tests. I was referring to what they said about T-grain films in general.
    Last edited by Ron Marshall; 17-Nov-2006 at 11:23.

I kicked myself for buying HP5 when I started shooting 8x10 because it was flat and unremarkable, in my opinion...until I read somewhere that many prefer the look of it pushed a stop or two. I find that it is quite a different animal if pushed to 800 or 1600. I actually prefer it to Tri X. Strangely, however, I prefer Tri X to HP5 in 120 or 35mm....go figure.

Quote Originally Posted by cobalt View Post
    I kicked myself for buying HP5 when I started shooting 8x10 because it was flat and unremarkable, in my opinion...until I read somewhere that many prefer the look of it pushed a stop or two. I find that it is quite a different animal if pushed to 800 or 1600. I actually prefer it to Tri X. Strangely, however, I prefer Tri X to HP5 in 120 or 35mm....go figure.
    I haven't tried it yet, I use Neopan 400 in 35mm (great film), but from what I have read it would be a useful film for moderately high contrast situations, since with normal development it is much less contrasty than TMX, and even TMY.

I rely on a lab to process my HP5, which is flat. But I want flat. You can always add contrast, especially digitally.