Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 30

Thread: I Want It All...

  1. #1
    wfwhitaker
    Guest

    I Want It All...

    I'm looking for a lens which has the following characteristics:

    1. Around 14" focal length
    2. Image circle large enough to allow moderate movements on 8x10
    3. Sharp, yet with soft and pleasing out-of-focus areas (OK then, nice bokeh!)
    4. Good color fidelity
    5. A reliable shutter suitable for use with those touchy chrome films

    Clearly I want to have my cake and eat it, too. There are lots of 14" lenses. But there seem to be few which meet all the requirements, particularly on the bokeh bit. I'd be interested in your suggestions. Any Cooke Series XVa users may feel free to chime in. 311mm is a little short, but would still work.

    Thanks,
    Will

  2. #2

    Join Date
    Jan 1998
    Location
    Fort Worth TX
    Posts
    250

    Re: I Want It All...

    355mm G-Claron. it may have more movement than you want but more is better. Copal #3 fits directly no spacers. It is single coated though if that makes a difference but it is tack sharp.

    lee\c

  3. #3
    tim atherton's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 1998
    Posts
    3,692

    Re: I Want It All...

    Quote Originally Posted by wfwhitaker View Post
    I'm looking for a lens which has the following characteristics:

    1. Around 14" focal length
    2. Image circle large enough to allow moderate movements on 8x10
    3. Sharp, yet with soft and pleasing out-of-focus areas (OK then, nice bokeh!)
    4. Good color fidelity
    5. A reliable shutter suitable for use with those touchy chrome films

    Clearly I want to have my cake and eat it, too. There are lots of 14" lenses. But there seem to be few which meet all the requirements, particularly on the bokeh bit. I'd be interested in your suggestions. Any Cooke Series XVa users may feel free to chime in. 311mm is a little short, but would still work.

    Thanks,
    Will
    14" Commercial Ektar - lovely for colour, I've always found has very nice Bokeh-y stuff and sharp. Only downside is making sure to get a good running shutter.

    Beyond this, you probably couldn't beat a 14" Kern Dagor - fantastic (take a look at Lynne Cohens work) - but harder to find

    (this one went fast :
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...ADME:B:SS:US:1 )
    You'd be amazed how small the demand is for pictures of trees... - Fred Astaire to Audrey Hepburn

    www.photo-muse.blogspot.com blog

  4. #4
    Jack Flesher's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Los Altos, CA
    Posts
    1,078

    Re: I Want It All...

    At 355mm, I Second the 14" Gold dot Dagor (Kern) in a Copal #3. Beautiful everywhere, great oof rendering.

    HOWEVERBUT! I sold mine because I got a nearly identical look in the Cooke Triple -- but it's a 311/476/646 *and* costs twice what the Kern 355's are selling for... But then it is three great focals for 8x10 and even the single cells are surprisingly sharp and smooth *and* it all fits in the space and weight of one lens
    Last edited by Jack Flesher; 3-Nov-2006 at 11:15.
    Jack Flesher

    www.getdpi.com

  5. #5
    Scott Davis
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    Washington DC
    Posts
    1,732

    Re: I Want It All...

    Quote Originally Posted by tim atherton View Post
    14" Commercial Ektar - lovely for colour, I've always found has very nice Bokeh-y stuff and sharp. Only downside is making sure to get a good running shutter.

    Beyond this, you probably couldn't beat a 14" Kern Dagor - fantastic (take a look at Lynne Cohens work) - but harder to find

    (this one went fast :
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...ADME:B:SS:US:1 )
    I'll second the remark about the Commercial Ektar. Will- if you'd like to shoot one sometime, to see how it goes, I'd be willing to let you try mine out. The shutter on mine has been CLA'd recently and timed, so I know that the shutter speeds are basically on, except for the 1/25th, which I think is essentially the same as my 1/50th. Either that or the same as the 1/10th- I'd have to look at my cheat sheet.

  6. #6

    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    Knoxville, Tennessee
    Posts
    1,789

    Re: I Want It All...

    I'll second the Kodak Commercial Ektar.

    Steve

  7. #7

    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Denver, CO
    Posts
    96

    Re: I Want It All...

    Are these Cooke triplets readily available or are there long waiting times to purchase one, or are they only available in the used market?

    Thanks

    Stew

  8. #8

    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Portland, OR
    Posts
    471

    Re: I Want It All...

    360mm Schneider Symmar Convertible in a CLA'd #5 Compound shutter.

    The optic is as large as the Queen Mary's main anchor, but it's razor sharp (even wide open), has beautiful "bokeh" (due to the circular aperture of the Compound shutter), and privides enough coverage to spill light over 12x20 inches. Oh, and they're cheap.

  9. #9
    Scott Davis
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    Washington DC
    Posts
    1,732

    Re: I Want It All...

    Quote Originally Posted by Christopher Perez View Post
    360mm Schneider Symmar Convertible in a CLA'd #5 Compound shutter.

    The optic is as large as the Queen Mary's main anchor, but it's razor sharp (even wide open), has beautiful "bokeh" (due to the circular aperture of the Compound shutter), and privides enough coverage to spill light over 12x20 inches. Oh, and they're cheap.
    Chris- A: How cheap, and B: how easy are they to find in that configuration?

  10. #10

    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Portland, OR
    Posts
    471

    Re: I Want It All...

    A: In mint condition, I've seen these (even on eBay) for $300 to $400.

    B: I had no problems chasing three down inside an hour when I started looking. I was either very lucky or there are plenty out there. There was even one guy who had one in his eBay Store with an attractive Buy It Now. If you find nothing on the open market, call Jim at MidWest Photo to see what he might have.

    Quote Originally Posted by Scott Davis View Post
    Chris- A: How cheap, and B: how easy are they to find in that configuration?

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •