Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Rodenstock vs. Schneider?

Rodenstock vs. Schneider?

or maybe Nikkor...Who makes the best normal lens in terms of image quality (resolution, color, bokeh)? Thanks.
    Ken

Re: Rodenstock vs. Schneider?

Rodenstock, no question, hands down, for sure, abso-f'ing-lutely. People are idiots if they tell you otherwise.

IMHO, all the modern players are excellent. I also think a lot of older glass is pretty darn excellent (perhaps superior if you're seriously into that bokeh business). All you have to do is come up with a picture that'll take advantage of all that excellence---thats the hard part!

Cheers!
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White

There's no "best" maker of LF lenses. But Schneider is the only company that seems sufficiently interested in large format to continue improving its product line. Rodenstock hasn't to my knowledge brought out a new lens in over a decade, Nikon is a digital camera company, and Fuji doesn't care enough about the U.S. market to have a U.S. distributor. So when all other things are more or less equal I buy Schneider lenses and their 150 is at least as good as any other.
    Brian Ellis
    Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you do criticize them you'll be
    a mile away and you'll have their shoes.

Abuser of God's Sunlight

i agree with Brian. they all make lenses that are crazy good. but Schneider's the only company that's done any innovating and investing in l.f. in recent history.

Bokeh?

Leica of course!

Otherwise, I fully concur with Brian's take on this!

Schneider is the lens company I'd support... just like Ilford for film!

Cheers
    Life in the fast lane!

Stuck inside of Tucson with the Neverland Blues again...

The best lens is the one that does what you want it to do best. Anything modern is nearly perfect in terms of resolution, correction of aberrations, contrast, color correction... no personality... Stepford lenses...

I started making my own. They came out all screwed up and I love them for it...

Plus, you get to name your own lens!

SF Bay Area 94303

Goerz 6 inch Areotar.

All metric sizes to 24x30 Ole Tjugen's Avatar

Since discontinued lenses have already been brought into the discussion, I'll mention my two favorite 150mm lenses: Apo-Lanthar 150/4.5, and Zeiss Doppel-Amatar 150/6.8. Both offer outstanding sharpness and a very pleasing rendition, and the colour fidelity of the uncoated Amatar is surprisingly good - perhaps helped by the fact that there are only four glass/air surfaces.

Abuser of God's Sunlight

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Sawyer View Post
    Anything modern is nearly perfect in terms of resolution, correction of aberrations, contrast, color correction...
    This is true within limitations. They come fairly close to the limits imposed by phyisics, but only near the axis, and within a certain range of magnifications and apertures. If you mostly use the lens within this sweet spot, you'll have a hard time telling the difference. If you're pushing things with movements, magnifications, or wide apertures, then you'll find there's still room for improvement. And that some lenses have been more improved than others in recent years.

The companies have also been pushing other capabilities of the lenses. Schneider especially has been investing in technologies to make the lenses lighter, smaller and wider at maximum aperture, which may or may not be important to you.