Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: For 4X5 Field camera Gitzo Carbon fiber or Aluminum

Re: For 4X5 Field camera Gitzo Carbon fiber or Aluminum

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Petronio View Post
    I would love to see a Benro in person.

The only drawback with CF is that I am used to tossing my metal tripod into a large Lightware Cargo Case with all the light stands and durable gadgets. A CF tripod would get major fatal dings if I tried that.
    Frank, I covered my 1227 with foam water pipe insulation sleeves. Not only do they protect the tripod well, but as a bonus they contribute to the geek image fostered by my Photogs vest which keeps women from bothering me while I am communing with my ground glass.

Quote Originally Posted by Songyun View Post
    By the way, how do you carry tripods? gitzo has a bag for the 13XX, but that is very expensive.

And How about tripod heads? I tend to buy arca swiss B1, I have a pan tilt head bogen 3030, but the tilt part is not very smooth, especially arround horizontal level.
    I have an Acratech that I am completely satisfied with.

I carry my 1227 in one hand while hiking. Yours would be a bit much for that, at least on a long hike. Strap it to the back of your backpack with bungie cords.

i have a 13xxx that is better than the old big gitzo aluminium that i used to have... but you should consider the basalt serie as well !

"By the way, how do you carry tripods? gitzo has a bag for the 13XX, but that is very expensive"

I have a Gitzo bag but I don't use it. It's very conspicuous, bright blue fabric and gray imitation leather trimming all around it, "Gitzo" in big letters on both sides. Even though most bag handlers and other airport thieves probably wouldn't know what a Gitzo is, they'd figure whatever it is it's probably expensive judging by the looks of the bag. So it stays home. By removing the head from the 1325 I can get it in a hard-shell suitcase so that's how the tripod travels by air. And I just throw it in the back seat of the car when travelling by car.
    Brian Ellis
    Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you do criticize them you'll be
    a mile away and you'll have their shoes.

Daniel Geiger

I have a Gitzo 1228 4 section with a Linhof Profi2 for SLR, and a 1325 (3 section) with Arca B1 for my Arca F. VERY happy with both. I think the 1228 is a too small for the Arca, so usually just take the 1325 along anymore for both.

I do the hook trick to make the center of gravity go way down. The biggest problem is to get the Supertrecker handle in the hook. Once that's done, it's a rock.

One problem I had is with a short center column, where the top base plate separated from the tube. Noticed it when I tried to use the the Arca on an inverted column hanging upside down (for a nice group of Orobanche in southern France). Tried to superglue it back in, but superglue (cyano type) did not keep it in. Anything that works, other than buying a new short column?

For travel, I also separate head from legs, and there are no more problems after that. Re airport thefts, get insurance and stop worrying. Particularly for hobbyists like myself, it's supposed to be FUN, right? ;-) For walking around, I put it on the outside of a supertrecker, with a small padded bag over the head.

I see no need for a special case or handling of a cf tripod, unless you insist on slamming it around like Frank ;-).

I strap mine to the outside of my backpack. When flying, the 12xx fits in my clothes suitcase, the 13xx stays at home.

Don't rule out a pan head due to a bad experience with one that is not top quality. The Gitzo "low profile" pan heads (like the 1270M) are excellent and reliable for those of us who don't care to go the ballhead route. They are admittedly bulky to pack, but screw off in 15 seconds, and I personally find the handles sticking out make it easier and securer to strap to the pack.

I have a 1127 and 1325. I also have an old Gitzo aluminum. The old one weighs far, far more, but is less stable and does a far worse job absorbing vibration.

FWIW, I used to have an Acratech. I found that when my ARca was racked out, the Acratech had a significant amount of flex in it. A scary amount. I sold it and bought the REally Right STuff BH-55. It is a very solid, outstanding ballhead.

Based on people posting here and my extensive collection of gear catalogs in the downstairs bathroom, the ultimate 4x5 tripod is the Gitzo 1325 or 1349 CF with the RRS BH-55 Ball head. A good $1000 plus investment, especially if you count buying RRS plates for your cameras and maybe adding a leveling base or different column.

However, a $99 Tiltall does exactly the same thing, albeit a few seconds slower and without as much pride of ownership.

There are plenty of good options. We haven't even discussed nice wooden tripods yet

When I was searching for a ball head. I considered following ball heads
    arca b1
    RRS BH-55,
    gang rin po che NB-1 (From China)

Because my local store doesn't have an RRS, so I don't know it very well. All I have seen so far is the Arca Swiss B1, and it is pretty nice. I don't want to buy something I have never seen it. How would you compare RRS and Arca?

Quote Originally Posted by Harley Goldman View Post
    I have a 1127 and 1325. I also have an old Gitzo aluminum. The old one weighs far, far more, but is less stable and does a far worse job absorbing vibration.

FWIW, I used to have an Acratech. I found that when my ARca was racked out, the Acratech had a significant amount of flex in it. A scary amount. I sold it and bought the REally Right STuff BH-55. It is a very solid, outstanding ballhead.

Quote Originally Posted by Songyun View Post
    By the way, how do you carry tripods? gitzo has a bag for the 13XX, but that is very expensive.

And How about tripod heads? I tend to buy arca swiss B1, I have a pan tilt head bogen 3030, but the tilt part is not very smooth, especially arround horizontal level.
    I was dubious of the Benro line until I saw their Arca B2 lookalike. It is very smooth and solid. I bought plates for all my cameras and I think they are even nicer than the Gitzo plates, and less expensive. The 128 is a lightweight (Gitzo 1128). The 328 is for my 8x10 and 4x5 (Gitzo 1328) Both come with cases and have enough room for heads.

I am not a professional so I am not going to be using these day in and day out. Service, if something breaks, might be difficult to get parts. Still, I see little difference after comparing these two to the similar Gitzos at the camera store downtown. I actually ordered one from LA and the other from Ontario Canada.

I'll report back if something breaks, but for now, I am smiling

Stew