Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: full 4x5 image glass negative carrier for Omega D-2?

full 4x5 image glass negative carrier for Omega D-2?

Greetings,

I am new to printing 4x5 and am frustrated by my Omega neg. caariers because they significantly mask the image area around the edges. My 6x6cm and 35mm carriers have been filed out to show beyond the image. I wish to have a glass carrier that would allow the full view. I have inspected my Omega glass and found it to be too small. Perhaps you could help me find anti-newton glass that would be about 4.5x5.5" and then I could grind out the carrier and remount the glass with new screw holes. Any sources for the glass? Or other tips for this task? I appreciate your page very much. Thank you for the whole web site. Peace,

Denis: Are you really sold on glass neg carriers? They offer four extra surfaces for dust to collect on and you will go nuts spotting prints. I print 4x5 negs 90% of the time and have not found the need for a glass neg carrier. Why not get an extra D-2 carrier and file it out to show all the 4x5 neg? To answer your question, I have seen anti-Newton glass advertised in Shutterbug and most of the larger photo equipment dealers should be able to order it for you. I am not trying to tell you how to run your darkroom, but glass negative carriers are a lot of problem to solve a problem that ususally doesn't exist. Most of the time, you can put the neg into the enlarger, turn on the light for a few seconds and wait for the negative to "pop". Then focus and it should stay put.

I'm with Denis. I have a glass 3 1/4x4 1/4 carrier for my D-2, and 35mm for the Leitz V-35. They aren't that hard to keep clean, and sure make it easier to get sharp prints right to the very edge of the negative. There must be 4x5 glass carriers for the D-2 out there; have you checked the Omega catalog?

I garee with the others who question the glass carrier? You might look at the 4x5 carier made for the saunders LPL;it is not totally oversized, but it does have a larger opening than the Omega unit. Bob

I have an omega 4x5 carrier and don't seem to have this problem and i only have two extra surfaces to clean(hint, hint!) ....in fact the glass is at least 1/4" larger than the neg and consistently projects the neg's blank edges....so look at a swap meet or ask your favorite camera dealer for another 4x5 carrier...there were so many produced over the years there's bound to be another like mine. Mine appears to be a newer make or possibly a custom job....it's silver and has strap-springed hinges. I ordered it from Marvel Rhyme in Little Rock Ark. Good luck.

Re: full 4x5 image glass negative carrier for Omega D-2?

Reviving an ancient thread, as I’m trying to get a negative carrier that will project the full 4x5 frame, borders and all, for an Omega D5XL. Any pointers, thoughts appreciated.

Drew Wiley

You can simply file them wider with a "ski file" intended for aluminum. But you have to be careful not to overdo it, or your carrier glass will fall through. Stay with glass - going "glassless" isn't just three years out of date, but downright Medieval if you expect sharp prints.

I have known workers that have used 2 sheets of 5X7 (?) AN glass and put a loose hinge between the long edges of each... Then masked an oversize opening mask under the bottom of "carrier"...

It works, but a big issue that comes up is the exposed edge starts flaring a lotta light into the image area, border, under easel blades etc and hard to control... But probably a learning curve...

Steve K

I never realized the D5 glass carriers won't show the whole negative. They improved the situation with the D5500 carriers. They do allow printing the full image area. I have four of them.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	D5500 Glass.jpg 
Views:	24 
Size:	35.2 KB 
ID:	239695
    Last edited by ic-racer; 21-Jun-2023 at 18:08.

Kevin at KHB did a good job recently, TALKING ME OUT of adding 5x7 Anti-Newton Glass (which he sells!!) cut to size. Kevin's right, back during WWII they did NOT! have AN glass. I do have an Omega E 5x7 original glass carrier (Glenn did some precision machine werk and restored it nicely, and it's fully usuable). Massive eight sided dust collector. Better to stretch a negative out tight as possible using blue masking tape, no fancy springy carrier needed. And I can do that on any of my vintage DII machines. I do like seeing the rebate area on my sheet film negs

Kevin is a good Dude and is an encyclopedia of Omega knowledge. What I have was sold only to military contract during WWII
    Flikr Photos Here: https://www.flickr.com/photos/18134483@N04/

“The secret of getting ahead is getting started.”
    ― Mark Twain