Thread: Protar questions

Protar questions

Excuse my lens-ignorance. I've wandered all over the web and I can't find the exact information I'm looking for ... so here I am!

I know of someone who is selling two Protars. One, 140mm f18, and the other, a 180mm f18. I believe they are not Protar V's.

Can someone please tell me which formats these lenses cover, how much they are worth and where I can find more information and testimonials about them? I'd really appreciate it.

Best,

Christopher

Re: Protar questions

Why do you think they are not Protar V's? I don't know of any other Protars with an f18 maximum aperture.

If those 1:18 lenses are simply branded "Anastigmat" and made either by Zeiss or by Bausch & Lomb, Ross (London), Krauss (Paris), Koristka (Milan) or Fritsch (Vienna) - all Zeiss licencees - they are Protars Series V manufactured before 1910.
    A 141mm Protar V does provide an image circle of 36cm when stopped down; a 18cm Protar V has an IC of 40cm ( according to a Zeiss price list of 1939).

Quote Originally Posted by Ernest Purdum View Post
    Why do you think they are not Protar V's? I don't know of any other Protars with an f18 maximum aperture.
    Hi Ernest,

See? I told you that I was lens-ignorant! I think what I mean is that it's not a Protar VI, the convertible lens (according to my research). Thanks for the mental jog.

Anyone have any ideas about prices on these lenses?

Best,

Chris

Quote Originally Posted by Uli Mayer View Post
    If those 1:18 lenses are simply branded "Anastigmat" and made either by Zeiss or by Bausch & Lomb, Ross (London), Krauss (Paris), Koristka (Milan) or Fritsch (Vienna) - all Zeiss licencees - they are Protars Series V manufactured before 1910.
    A 141mm Protar V does provide an image circle of 36cm when stopped down; a 18cm Protar V has an IC of 40cm ( according to a Zeiss price list of 1939).
    Uli,

Thanks for the information. Unfortunately, I don't have the lenses in front of me and don't remember which brand they were. I do remember that the focal lengths were marked in centimeters rather than millimeters (14cm and 18cm). Further research on the web has told me that the lenses were designed to cover 5x7 and 8x10 respectively, but will —at smaller apertures— also cover 8x10 and 11x14 (the 18cm barely covers 11x14, according to what I've read. Apparently, this coverage varied according to the brand (?)... anyone knowledgable about this is welcome to comment, please).

Best,

Christopher

Quote Originally Posted by Christopher Nisperos View Post
    Uli,

Thanks for the information. Unfortunately, I don't have the lenses in front of me and don't remember which brand they were. I do remember that the focal lengths were marked in centimeters rather than millimeters (14cm and 18cm). Further research on the web has told me that the lenses were designed to cover 5x7 and 8x10 respectively, but will —at smaller apertures— also cover 8x10 and 11x14 (the 18cm barely covers 11x14, according to what I've read. Apparently, this coverage varied according to the brand (?)... anyone knowledgable about this is welcome to comment, please).

Best,

Christopher

plenty to look at here:

http://www.cameraeccentric.com/html/...iss/zeiss.html

and 60's
    http://www.cameraeccentric.com/html/...ar/protar.html

and possibly other references I missed at:

http://www.cameraeccentric.com/html/info.html
    You'd be amazed how small the demand is for pictures of trees... - Fred Astaire to Audrey Hepburn

www.photo-muse.blogspot.com blog

Quote Originally Posted by tim atherton View Post
    Wow. Thanks, Tim. Useful stuff (so far, I've found the angle of view on the 141mm).

Best,

Christopher