Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Voightlander & Sohn Euryscop Lenses

Re: Voightlander & Sohn Euryscop Lenses

Just curious to see has any one seen a 8 or 9? I have made a public pledge that if I find a 9, I would make a 40x50 box camera just for that lens. Please don't let me find it:-)

Tuant

Quote Originally Posted by tuant View Post
    Just curious to see has any one seen a 8 or 9? I have made a public pledge that if I find a 9, I would make a 40x50 box camera just for that lens. Please don't let me find it:-)

Tuant
    Iv'e seen the #9....

I was offered the "9....

And I didn't buy it......

It was sitting in a store in Pragh - HUGE, I mean HUGE!! - but surprisingly light weight.
    Not made of brass. A matt light grey metal compound.

I thought (as nobody I knew back then knew anything..) I'd leave it in the shop, and see whether it was still there when I returned half a year later..
    If so, it would have been a sign from above..

But no sign - no lens.... alas.

Price (which I considered too high), was about 1000$

But no sign - no lens.... alas.

Price (which I considered too high), was about 1000$ [/QUOTE]

Aha, this is like the first confirmed UFO sighting for me To cover 40X50, it will have to be big, very very big! I have never heard of another person seeing one except you. If you find one, please let me know, I will certainly buy you a few beer for that:-) And no kidding, I will build a WP camera for it. I will use a basketball to rock collodion. And my silver bath box will probably weigh over 200lb by itself:-)

Tuant

I have not seen an 8 or 9. You will definitely need a very big camera for those! The #7, which is fairly common (I have one at least, and have seen many more) still requires a 9" lens board.

Just as a curiosity, it seems many more of the odd numbered Euryscope IVs are around compared to even # ones. The #3 and #5 are pretty common, but I havent seen many #2 or #6. The smaller ones seem to be even rarer, I have a #00 (great lens for 5x7!), and it's the only one I've ever seen.

Also, still looking for the 60cm heliar...

cheers

Tim

I recently acquired this Voightlander lens. Can someone tell me what it is? It only has a 7 on it. It does not say Euroscope. BF its about 26 inches.

It is way larger than any other RR Ive seen even for a 20x24 plate. I had a Dallmeyer RR that covered 16x18 an it was half the size of this lens. I have an Emil Busch 8x10 RR that is not much bigger than a 35mm film can.

Ive have had some people tell me its a Petzval and other say RR. If it is an RR why is it so big?

I recently gave my 18x22 camera to a friend and the largest I have right now is an 11x14. I put this lens on my 11x14 and it looks pretty good. Very little depth of field wide open and its really bright. I will shoot in on 11x14 soon.

I was told by Milan Z. that the early Voightlander lenses had air spaced elements in the rear like a Petzval and Voightlander changed the designed later with cemented elements. I cant get the rear pair out to check it.

This would correspond the early post by Sven "Right the catalogue starts with "-first series- Regular Portrait-lens" which looks like a regular petzval sizes marked as 3B to 7B. The "second series Portrait Euryscope, short focus. ratio 1 to 4 or F4" these are RR's/aplanat's and size marked 3 to 7. "

Still not sure what I have here other than is not a B and does not say Euroscope.

Any info on this lens would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	No7.jpg 
Views:	144 
Size:	75.0 KB 
ID:	70881

Vitaliy AK

It's "pre-Euryscop", they started to engrave Euryscop later.
    Maybe Euryscop IV series No.7? How big is lens? No.7 is approx. 20cm tall, glass element diameter ~10cm.

+1!
    The serial number confirms it was made during the period when Voigtländer was experimenting like mad with various types of Rapid Aplanats and Extra Rapid Aplanats. This is before they settled on their later series marked with a roman series number and Euryskop.
    I think it is a little too early to be a pre-series IV.
    Most of these large "no-name Euryskops" turn out to be around F7 with qwuite huge coverage. Why they made so many of this type - and for what purpose, remains a mystery - at least to me.

I personally believe the postulate about air spaced rear cells in an Aplanat design is an old misunderstanding from just one contemporary " optics savant" which has been repeated in books etc. ever since. I don't believe the Ebay clearing out of forgotten lenses has produced any of these "air spaced" Aplanats?

There is a thread here which shows a lot of these pre-Euryskop types and serial numbers.

Vitaliy AK

Most of these large "no-name Euryskops" turn out to be around F7 with qwuite huge coverage.
    If I understand (calculate) correctly, Euryscop Series IV lenses doesn't have exact F/6, but vary from F/5 to F/7 (depending on the number, e.g. No5 is F/5,6)?

No! All series IV are F6. At least are listed as F6.
    However looking at the catalogue from 1890, I suddenly have my doubts. No. 9 has a focal length of 46" (lens diameter 6.5") and no. 7 has focal length of 24.5" (quite near the above lens) and a lens diameter of 4 1/8". So no.9 is certainly not an F6 and neither is no. 7!

Quote Originally Posted by Steven Tribe View Post
    No! All series IV are F6. At least are listed as F6.
    However looking at the catalogue from 1890, I suddenly have my doubts. No. 9 has a focal length of 46" (lens diameter 6.5") and no. 7 has focal length of 24.5" (quite near the above lens) and a lens diameter of 4 1/8". So no.9 is certainly not an F6 and neither is no. 7!
    Seem to recall reading in the VM that it was more like f6.2 and could vary a bit. Also the later Series IVa catalogued in USA after the new century, 1905 - ish were f7. These had apertures and did not look the same as the classic Series IV from 1870's with the steep flute to the shield.