Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: JandC 400 anybody tried it with Pyrocat HD?

JandC 400 anybody tried it with Pyrocat HD?

I am trying to get this film dialed in and the results are not making sense, I get an EI of 22 for JandC 400.....what gives? Could it be a mistaken film? I hope not I ordered 8x10 and 12x20.....

Re: JandC 400 anybody tried it with Pyrocat HD?

Quote Originally Posted by Jorge Gasteazoro View Post
    I am trying to get this film dialed in and the results are not making sense, I get an EI of 22 for JandC 400.....what gives? Could it be a mistaken film? I hope not I ordered 8x10 and 12x20.....

I bought a few boxes of the JandC 400 in 12X20 format a couple of years ago and it tested with an EF of 500 developing for the contrast needed for alternative printing. Unless you are doing something terribly wrong you probably have a mistaken film.

Sandy

Quote Originally Posted by sanking View Post
    I bought a few boxes of the JandC 400 in 12X20 format a couple of years ago and it tested with an EF of 500 developing for the contrast needed for alternative printing. Unless you are doing something terribly wrong you probably have a mistaken film.

Sandy
    Thanks Sandy, since I am using your developer and we have the same testing method I am thinking the same, dammit......

Here at work I have only my Palm and ExpoDev, but putting in some figures I get an EFS of 431 with an SBR 7 negative (low EV9 and high EV11) and 1/4 sec at f/32. I did my tests with Pyrocat P, which is supposed to have essentially the same times as HD. Paper ES for my tests was 1.2, so YMMV.
    juan
    Last edited by j.e.simmons; 12-Oct-2006 at 05:55.

Cooke, Heliar, Petzval...yeah

Jorge,

I have same issues with JandC Pro 100. I am getting EI6 on that one.
    Peter Hruby
    www.peterhruby.ca

Jorge, I had a similar experience with Efke PL 100 several months ago. John replaced the film and it resolved the problem. I think the factory screws up sometimes.

Quote Originally Posted by Donald Miller View Post
    Jorge, I had a similar experience with Efke PL 100 several months ago. John replaced the film and it resolved the problem. I think the factory screws up sometimes.
    Yikes...

That does not instill a lot of confidence in the product. What happens when you go on a trip and get back only to discover that the box you opened on the trip was the bad stuff. It is not reasonable to have to test a sheet from every box.

---Michael

I think that's why John at JandC now promises that the Adox branded film will be tested before leaving Europe.
    juan

Quote Originally Posted by j.e.simmons View Post
    Here at work I have only my Palm and ExpoDev, but putting in some figures I get an EFS of 431 with an SBR 7 negative (low EV9 and high EV11) and 1/4 sec at f/32. I did my tests with Pyrocat P, which is supposed to have essentially the same times as HD. Paper ES for my tests was 1.2, so YMMV.
    juan

Thank you Juan, this confirms it, this must be a mistake on their part. Specially since I had just rechecked my tests for Tmx 400 since I had not teste it in 5 years I have been using the BTZS. They came out perfect.

Quote Originally Posted by Jorge Gasteazoro View Post
    Just to eliminate the silly stuff -- that sounds awfully similar to results I read about a photography student getting some years ago when testing Tri-X (the ISO 320 sheet version): EI 16. What eventually turned out to be the case was that he was loading it backward in the holders, and exposing through the antihalation layer resulted in loss of about 4.5 stops of speed.

Now, I presume, Jorge, that you aren't making that mistake (especially not with enough sheets to get completely through a test series) -- but I can easily see how a batch of film could have gotten notched on the wrong corner, i.e. upside down when the notches were cut. Shouldn't be terribly hard to check to be sure the emulsion is on the correct side on some of the developed negatives (which wouldn't even require sacrificing a sheet to look for the light and dark sides)...
    If a contact print at arm's length is too small to see, you need a bigger camera. :D