Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Interesting 6x17 Camera Review

Interesting 6x17 Camera Review

Here's a video clip of an interesting 6x17 camera shown at Photokina this year. Definitely worth checking out...

http://www.luminous-landscape.com/ph...e-report.shtml

Re: Interesting 6x17 Camera Review

Wow, Sheldon. That's a pretty impressive camera. I can see why it costs $10K (or so).
    Last edited by Kirk Keyes; 4-Oct-2006 at 14:12.

what does it do that I couldn't do with a $2000 5x7 system?

Canham 5x7"+617 back+4x5 reducing back+Sinar Zoom holder(+sliding back and digital back, if you're interested in that aspect of it)--yeah, all the same functionality and more, but maybe a bit less rigid, and maybe not as compact if you're not interested in 5x7".

I did like that universal viewfinder with compensation for shift.

I also thought the masking that is operable from the outside of the camera, allowing rear shift by moving the masks was a neat trick (as opposed to the masks on the Chinese 617 and 612 backs that have to be put in before the film is loaded), though I wasn't quite sure how film advance was supposed to work, other than just advancing every shot as if it were 617, and leaving plenty of margin.

Why would I spend that kind of money so I could switch the width of the format in mid-roll? I mean a $5 roll of film versus a $10,000 camera?

Rather like a hybrid car, ehhh?

Quote Originally Posted by robc View Post
    Rob,

The simple answer?

Nothing... but just think of the prestige for being the first kid on the block to have one of these babies!

And, I have to say... it's a cool looking camera. Now, if only I had a cool $10K kicking around that I just didn't know what to do with.

Cheers
    Life in the fast lane!

The common misunderstanding about rollfilm photography here...
    Quote Originally Posted by robc View Post
    The answer is: SPEED of your photography.
    "Why would I spend that kind of money..so I could switch.. in mid-roll?" (Frank) Again, the answer is SPEED. If you're after that very special photo opportunity that doesn't wait too long...
    "Canham 5x7 + 617 back + 4x5 reducing back.... all the same functionality" (David) LOL All the same functionality? How about the weight of your monster accessoir... and the SPEED of your photography?
    The rollfilm photograhy has its place that no other camera can take away without some disadvantage.

Speed? It doesn't have a rangefinder. You still have to use a groundglass attachment that needs to be removed to put the rollfilm back on. As Dr. Gilde says, "if it's not made with a black cloth, it's not a photograph."

The answer is: SPEED of your photography.
    I think not. a 5x7 such as the Walker 5x7 XL would be just as quick if not quicker to set up and make your first image. And its $8000 cheaper which I could spend on film!

The Walker 5 x 7 XL appears to have a minimum bellows extension of 80 mm and is supposedly usable with 72 mm lenses, presumably with 80 mm rear flange focal length, and a flat lensboard. Although 72 mm is quite wide angle for 5 x 7, it is just slightly wide for most medium formats. According to its web page, the Gilde 66-17 takes lenses down to 35 mm. I doubt that you could accomplish that with a recessed lensboard on a 5 x 7 camera.

Of course, you could come up with a collection of various cameras which could do most of what the Gilde 66-17 does, but by the time you were done, you might be approaching the same price and without the flexibility.

Back to the real world, I think most of us would just choose more limited capabilities in two or three different cameras and just dream of doing more all at once. But for someone who really wants what this camera offers and can easily afford the price, it looks like a winner. I will add it to my list of what I will buy when my rich uncle dies. Unfortunately, all of my uncles are already dead, and none of them were rich.
    Last edited by Leonard Evens; 5-Oct-2006 at 07:55.