Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: How is use of f128 possible/practical?

How is use of f128 possible/practical?

I never grasped why the Apo-Nikkors, for example, were designed with ability to stop down to f128. What about defraction at that small of an aperture? Something to do with the graphic arts application? Attempt to imply greater control to the graphic arts cameramen? Something related to 1:1 shooting? Can someone please explain this to me? Never really understood. Thanks!

Re: How is use of f128 possible/practical?

I think the guy just kept going until he got bored -) I think they were always used at F/22 or F/32 depending on focal length.

Thanks, Nick.

My curiosity still remains: if not useful/practical, why on earth an f128?

Uh....my amp goes to "11"?

Thanks, Kevin!

However,

I would trade a boatload of tongue-in-cheek remarks for one cogent explanation as to

WHY APOS STOP DOWN TO A SEEMINGLY UNUSEABLE F128.

Robert

Since they were generally used for photographing things that are flat, requiring almost no depth of field, I have to say it stumps me too. Why do so many view cameras have swings and tilts so extensive as to be unusable? Maybe somebody else made one that would do that and the feeling was the feature had to be there so as not to come up short on features and capabilities? Tongue in cheek perhaps -- but I was making a point.

Graphic arts cameras are more "distortion free" than other cameras due to they special construction and use of the special glasses. They are constructed for use with a very small angle of view where they can keep their very high resolution under highly specified optical conditions .Therefore they can use smaller apertures that would otherwise kill the more "normal" camera lens. Such is my understandig.

Quote Originally Posted by Robert McClure View Post
    Thanks, Nick.

My curiosity still remains: if not useful/practical, why on earth an f128?
    If you look at different brands some only go to F/32? Others F/45. Think about the other way to. Why do they open up so far? If none of them were used wider then F/22 why not have them set to F/22 wide open?

I still think it was just a reflection of the people making the lenses being able to do it more then any actual need for the lenses to have such wide F/stops.

I think a few people here have actually used the machines these things were designed for. Maybe one will pipe up.

Just think of f128 as a built in pinhole camera.

Lenses being designed that way...?
    I guess it's more related to the available barrel into which the lens elements are mounted. The mechanics of the aperture in the barrel will allow the physical aperture-hole to reach a minimum size but the resulting aperture will depend on the focal length of the lens elements inserted into it.

It's no more strange than that the largest aperture would be f11 compared to other lenses that would start at say f5.6 and end at f45 in the same barrel.
    The lens would still be used at say f22 as have been stated before.
    Last edited by Patrik Roseen; 28-Sep-2006 at 12:00.