Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Epson Printer path...suggestions

Epson Printer path...suggestions

I am thinking of turning my Epson 4000 (17", older generation) into a dedicated B&W printer using B&W inks, and buying a new Epson R2400 (13", K3 inks) for every-day color prints on glossy paper. Any thoughts or suggestions?

Re: Epson Printer path...suggestions

Wait until Photokina is over to make a decision. The new Canons and HPs will be absolutely be a factor in fine art printing.

Bruce Watson

Not sure there is going to be anything that interesting at Photokina, but then it is less than two weeks away so not bd advice. Canon could come out with somethin in a lwoer priced model using their new ink sets. As for HP, unless there is something in the mill that even their usual beta testers haven't seen I wouldn't count on much from them. The problem with HP printers for years has been a lack of reliability in their mechanics. Some are fine but they have a much higher failure rate than either Canon or Epson.

One final thought, remember that you will not gt the replicability or accuracy fromt he 2400 that you are used to from the 4000. You are moving from a superbly built commercial machine to a mass produced consumer machine.

isn't epson supposed to be bringing out a new printer? the Pro 3800 or something? like a desktop 4800 or sized up 2400 - 17" printing (not 100% sure on that bit) with K3 UC inks (wboth blacks installed) $1200.00 ish . Announcement on the 27th

Now - where did I read that - I have no idea....
    You'd be amazed how small the demand is for pictures of trees... - Fred Astaire to Audrey Hepburn

www.photo-muse.blogspot.com blog

Here's Epsons tease - gotta love it...:

On September 27, we'll unveil our newest professional printer. We want to tell you
    about a new printer that's going to get your adrenaline pumping, your heart racing
    and your imagination soaring.

For starters, it looks cool. It's sleek, slim, stylish and space efficient. Think high-end sports car.

But, it's what's inside that will really raise your pulse rate. This engineering
    marvel incorporates several radical new technologies. And, of course, it takes
    full advantage of our already industry-renowned Epson UltraChrome K3™ inks.

We've saved the best for last. Wait till you see the price. We think you'll be not
    just pleased, but amazed.

So mark your calendar. Set a reminder in your PDA. And, put a note on your
    computer monitor — SEPTEMBER 27 — it's the official release date of what
    promises to be a huge new leap forward in professional printing.

This is going to be exciting.
    You'd be amazed how small the demand is for pictures of trees... - Fred Astaire to Audrey Hepburn

Though I'd wait and see what Epson announce on the 27th, you might consider switching your 4000 to a K3 set. I switched my oldest 2200 to K3 inks for B&W and added a channel for Krystal Topkote - so the seven inks in that are MK, K3 PK, K3 LK, K3 LLK, K3 LC, R800 blue diluted 1+4 with clear base and Krystal Topkote. If I had an eighth slot spare I'd add dilute R800 red. That was one of the inks I tried when doing my original experiments - had I wanted warm tones I would have used the red.

The Krystal Topkote removes the slight remaining gloss differential on glossy papers, and increases DMax a little so you can get over 2.6 with a glossy paper or one of the new Innova or Crane papers. It works best applied on a second pass, but it can also be applied on the first pass.

Best,
    Helen

Helen: when you convert an older Epson to K3, do you need special software or firmware? What is the purpose of the Light Cyan and the diulted R800 blue? Does it require lots of ink to flush the system?

Btw, that Epson 9/27 deal is a real teaser, but it sounds to me like maybe what they've is stretched an R2400 to 17", doesn't it? We shall see!

yeah, the whispers I've heard made it sound a bit more like a stretched 2400. Though I also heard 12 inks, which sounds kinda wild...

but who knows!

The most important thing to ote when Epson makes the announcement is whether it is part of their consumer or professional line (name nonwithstanding).

There's been quite a lot of information about these new printers in the Yahoo digital black and white print group. I didn't pay too much attention because I figure I can wait a week or so to see what really comes out but supposedly there is indeed a 12 ink printer, also one that will go to 17 inches or something like that, also supposedly great prices, somewhere around $1100 IIRC.
    Brian Ellis
    Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you do criticize them you'll be
    a mile away and you'll have their shoes.