Thread: Rialto Beach??

Rialto Beach??

Hi All,

I'm planning to be at Rialto Beach probably Monday the 18th. If I read the tide tables correctly, low tide should be around 4:45 P.M. and sunset should be around 7:20 P.M. Will this be a good shooting window for some traditional long shadow shots? Is it worth trying to be there early in the morning as well? TIA.

Steve Rowell

Re: Rialto Beach??

Heads up! I don't know which Rialto Beach you may be talking about, but the one in my neck of the woods may be not accessible as the local Native Americans are making a "statement". This happens periodically and while I don't keep up with their "uprisings" -there's no need to be frustrated if you could find out first.

Yes, my brother was up hiking there a week and a half ago and he said that a sign was posted by the local Native American tribe that the beach was closed to the public. Not sure how strictly that's enforced, but you might want to check before making the drive.

Quote Originally Posted by Sheldon N
    Yes, my brother was up hiking there a week and a half ago and he said that a sign was posted by the local Native American tribe that the beach was closed to the public. Not sure how strictly that's enforced, but you might want to check before making the drive.
    Do they own the beach or beach access? Or are they just trying to make a point?

Thanks for the heads up. I'll check and see what the situation is.

Steve Rowell

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Rowell
    Hi All,

I'm planning to be at Rialto Beach probably Monday the 18th. If I read the tide tables correctly, low tide should be around 4:45 P.M. and sunset should be around 7:20 P.M. Will this be a good shooting window for some traditional long shadow shots? Is it worth trying to be there early in the morning as well? TIA.

Steve Rowell
    Check out the NPS Website at:

http://www.nps.gov/olym/planyourvisi...-the-coast.htm
    http://www.nps.gov/olym/planyourvisit/upload/mora.pdf (PDF)

Some trails and access is noted as closed, as noted, the Tribe has forced issues with the NPS and other agencies. Be careful when you're on Reservation lands, you're no longer under NPS or WA State laws but Tribe laws.
    --Scott--

Scott M. Knowles, MS-Geography
    scott@wsrphoto.com

"All things merge into one, and a river flows through it."
    - Norman MacLean

Quote Originally Posted by roteague
    Do they own the beach or beach access? Or are they just trying to make a point?
    I have been there and I was under the impression that the reservation boundry was at the river. I might be wrong.

I was wrong. I did a little research and found info that the tribe does indeed control the land and are haggeling with Olympic natl park to trade the beach property for some park land further up the hill to move stuff from areas that would be affected by a sunami. You could go up to ruby beach or any of the others.

Just a quick follow up. Just got back from Rialto and everything was normal. Beautiful overcast day today.

Steve Rowell

Quote Originally Posted by John Berry
    I was wrong. I did a little research and found info that the tribe does indeed control the land and are haggeling with Olympic natl park to trade the beach property for some park land further up the hill to move stuff from areas that would be affected by a sunami. You could go up to ruby beach or any of the others.
    Thanks John, I was more curious as to the status of the beach. Over here, all beaches are public beaches, and the state enforces rights of way - of course, that doesn't apply to the Indian reservations. Thanks for the followup.