Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Shameless Self-Promotion - My New Website

Shameless Self-Promotion - My New Website

Finally, after years of good intentions, I have a website showcasing my work. Please visit and tell me what you think.

www.DoremusScudder.com

Best

Re: Shameless Self-Promotion - My New Website

Congratulations.

Shamelessly: http://www.walterpcalahan.com

HA!

Doremus,

Nice work and nice presentation. Some of the images look like they would be terrific prints, but look flat on the monitor. Do you create images specifically for the WWW, or do you just resize images you use for a digital workflow? It may be that the balance for the WWW should be different than for prints for more subtle images. Do others who use a digital workflow for printing do separate images for the WWW?

I enjoyed seeing your work.

On my iBook screen I have to scroll the page up to see the entire large photo.
    You might think about moving the scrolling thumbnails to either side to gain more vertical room for the larger photo. Or this may not be a problem on larger screens.

Hi - you have some beautiful photos there. One thing that is slightly unsettling is how the whites at the edges of the photos bleed into the white borders of the "frame". I like how you incorporate your signature, so maybe you need to take it the next step to make the images look like traditional matted prints. Or at least put a holding rule around them. Or simply crop in tighter and put them against a darker than white background. Or burn the edges of the images down slightly. Or put a subtle drop shadow around them like in iPhoto. Or....

The University of Oregon color scheme is the only clue as to where you are located... before I send a credit card order in, I like to know the physical location and phone number of the vendor. Right now the contact info doesn't show me any of your info.

While I understand your reluctance to revealing your contact info, if you want to do business online you need to. Personally it is one of the reasons I use a PO Box and accept an occassional nutty phone call (but only a few from people on this forum.)

I usually comment on the code and architecture but that only provokes a long discussion that goes nowhere. The site works and most of the choices are subjective, and easy to change. I like the images overall and the most important thing about having a website is to actually have one.
    Last edited by Frank Petronio; 9-Sep-2006 at 06:01.

I'm with Ed and Frank. Beautiful photos and nice presentation, tasteful usage of Flash.

Yes, I also think it would all look even nicer with a little "webifying" of your images and perhaps even adding "sloppy borders" to prevent bleeding, but that's personal choice.

Like Frank said, it works and that's the biggest step. Congratulations.

I think it looks great, functions well and fast. Nice layout. No problems here and I enjoyed your images. Good luck.

Really nice. I like most everything about it. Great work Doremus. I especially like the Stretched Pebble Canyon print, great image. If you can, it would be nice to hear about your experiences creating the website.

HI Dory - I thought it looked great. There was no lack of contrast in anything I saw, nothing looked flat, quite the opposite in fact. I also didn't have to scroll down to see the entire image.

My only suggestion would be to make the thumbnails a little larger as someone in another forum also suggested. I had trouble telling what was in some of the photographs from the small thumbnails, otherwise I thought it was a terrific web site and terrific work.
    Brian Ellis
    Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you do criticize them you'll be
    a mile away and you'll have their shoes.

A correction to my previous message. When I went back again I realized that for the vertical images I did have to scroll down to see the entire image.
    Brian Ellis
    Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you do criticize them you'll be
    a mile away and you'll have their shoes.