Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Need advice on Colorado

Need advice on Colorado

I need to be in Boulder for work the Tuesday after next and decided to go out late on Friday to give myself a quick 3 day photography trip. I've heard that there are so many amazing places that I'm not sure where to begin so I am looking for your help. I plan on bringing my large format camera and plenty of black and white film. I'm interested in landscape and I also hope to photograph some abandoned mining towns if possible. Given the choice, I'd rather spend my time shooting than driving so I'd prefer to stay a reasonable distance from Denver or Boulder, but I'm open to anything if it is worth the extra driving. Any advice?

Thanks -- Mark

Re: Need advice on Colorado

Hi Mark,

You have the Rocky Mountain National Park just about 2 hour drive north of Denver.
    BR

www.brianreedphotography.com

Mark,

The Flat Irons above Boulder are always a good bet, although they're difficult to capture in B&W. Probably the best vantage point is from Marshall Mesa on the south edge of town. I would definately reccomend a trip up Boulder Canyon (scenic itself) to the peak to peak highway. Here you'll find views of the Indian Peaks, and (bring some color film) the aspens should be in full color. Just outside the town of Nederland is the historic mining town of Caribou, although there really isn't much left of it. You can take the Peak to Peak all the way to Estes Park (and Rocky Mountain National Park), or follow the South St. Vrain via highway 7 east to U.S. 36 and back to Boulder. There is much, much more; if you want more specifics, or my phone number, send me a private message.

- db

Photographer

Try this for ghost towns, most of which are/were mining towns:

http://www.ghosttowns.com/states/co/co.html
    Keith Pitman

Mark,

Boulder would definetly be a fine home base for photography day trips.

As mentioned, Rocky Mountain National Park is close (only about 45 min to the park entrance from Boulder). I would take at least one of your days to visit RMNP.

Closer to boulder, the Indian Peaks are is great. There are numerous trailheads off of Peak to Peak highway with interesting lakes, ponds, and views right at the trailheads or a short walk. If you are equiped to hike a couple miles with your gear then all the better.

I don't know of any trully abadonned ghost towns, but there are quite a few semi-abadnoned areas with old structures. Also mining related structures are found scattered about on the sides of roads all over. Caribou is interesting, but there is no close access to the structures.

Even closer to Boulder, Boulder canyon and Flagstaff road are good options.

I would also not ignore the town itself, and the CU campus.

some samples from my website (which needs some serious updating and image culling):
    http://www.danschmidt.com/photography/boulder/

private mesaage me if you want some more info, and or are looking for someone to shoot with one of the days you are here.

-dan

Also there is a Paul Strand - Bradford Washburn exhibit at camera obscura in denver.

http://www.cameraobscuragallery.com/

this gallery is a real treat for black and white photographers

-dan

Eric Biggerstaff

I think one of the best bets for something close is Mt. Evans, if the road is open ( and it should be) you will be able to drive on paved road all the way up to 14,000 ft. Along the way are Bristlecone Pines, alpine lakes, rushing streams, and big vistas of the high peaks above timberline. It is a very easy drive from either Boulder or Denver, you would take I70 West from Denver and exit Idaho Springs, then follow the signs.

Boulder Canyon is always great, but Eldorado Canyon is to me even more scenic and is a great little drive from Boulder ( it is a State Park so an entrance fee will be requried if you want to drive, I think you can walk in for free).

Have a great trip.
    Eric Biggerstaff

www.ericbiggerstaff.com

If you're going to visit galleries in Denver, in addition to Camera Obscura, check out Photographers' Gallery in the Cherry Creek area. Mostly Colorado Front Range photographers with a wide variety of work.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Biggerstaff
    I think one of the best bets for something close is Mt. Evans, if the road is open ( and it should be) you will be able to drive on paved road all the way up to 14,000 ft. Along the way are Bristlecone Pines, alpine lakes, rushing streams, and big vistas of the high peaks above timberline. It is a very easy drive from either Boulder or Denver, you would take I70 West from Denver and exit Idaho Springs, then follow the signs.

Boulder Canyon is always great, but Eldorado Canyon is to me even more scenic and is a great little drive from Boulder ( it is a State Park so an entrance fee will be requried if you want to drive, I think you can walk in for free).

Have a great trip.
    Unfortunately the Mt Evans road was about a week ago.

Eric Biggerstaff

Dang! It is a sweet drive.
    Eric Biggerstaff

www.ericbiggerstaff.com