Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: On Plagiarism and Similarities

On Plagiarism and Similarities

an interesting post on Joerg Colberg's blog

http://www.jmcolberg.com/weblog/archives/002287.html

(fits with some of the discussion in the Where did you take that picture? thread)
    You'd be amazed how small the demand is for pictures of trees... - Fred Astaire to Audrey Hepburn

www.photo-muse.blogspot.com blog

Re: On Plagiarism and Similarities

Pretty interesting. I find the sample images similar enough that you have you could easily assume the Zielski images are the Bialobrzeski's if you were to only take a quick glance. And especially so if they were not side by side. I don't know if technically that qualifies as plaigarism but I would personally be embarassed to use these images if I were the Zielskis. At least they could have changed the angle, focal length, or lighting to distinguis their images from Bialobrzeski. Again, my personal criteria is if a person would reasonably see the image as someone else's unless one stops to really study the image would be too close too plaigarism for comfort.

Photo Dilettante Donald Brewster's Avatar

Well, they are different in angle of view, etc. And I much prefer the Zielskis versions (to the extent one can say from a computer monitor image). If they did copy Bialobrzeski, at least the Zielskis had the decency to make a better image. Beyond that, I think I'll re-read my Walter Benjamin.

Quote Originally Posted by Donald Brewster
    Well, they are different in angle of view, etc. And I much prefer the Zielskis versions (to the extent one can say from a computer monitor image). If they did copy Bialobrzeski, at least the Zielskis had the decency to make a better image. Beyond that, I think I'll re-read my Walter Benjamin.
    I agree the angle of view was changed, but I think it is subtle enough thatthe casual viewer would not notice. This is obviously a very subjective issue, and opinions will vary, but in my book the images are too close for comfort.

Looks really obvious to me. If they are getting paid for them, I guess they could be embarrassed all the way to the bank to make their deposit.

One thing that came to mind is the numerous images of various slot canyons and multi-coloured rocks in the US Southwest. Obviously on a lesser level than works hanging in museums, though it seemed some places have been so photographed that many images look really close.

Ciao!

Gordon Moat
    A G Studio

They should have just gone to the building next door

Harrykauf, that's brilliant!!

The image you posted actually fits what I was thinking as I looked at the two upper photographs in the article.

When trying to achieve plagiarism (copy someone's work...being inspired of...) one has to not only appreciate the original photograph but also figure out the process used, i.e. how it was made...I do that all the time when allowing myself be inspired by other photos in book and journals etc.

In the pictures of the bridge there is the effect of continuous lightstreaks from moving headlights on the cars, which one only gets from a long exposure thereby making the sky brighter which can be seen in the two photographs. Not only is the scenery the same but the process is probably the same too...

as compared to Harrykaufs image where only the scenery is the same...

In music there are rules for how many sequential notes a composer may 'steal' from another song without being accused of plagiarism...are there any rules regarding photographs, i.e. scenery, time of day, exposure time, colour settings...?

Shooting and re-shooting already cliche subjects can't be plagiarism. If the second photographer "stole" the fist guy's photo and called it his own, that would be plagiarism. But simply taking a photo of the same subject can't be - that would make everyone who snapped a photothe Eiffel Tower into a plagiarist! I think this would be especially true when there is only one reasonably accessible angle that people can take the photo which still results in a decently-composed photo.
    Last edited by cyrus; 8-Sep-2006 at 14:35.

Thumbs down Re: On Plagiarism and Similarities

It might be that, for some subjects there are only, say, five sets of tripod holes. Does that mean everyone from #6 on, can't photograph that subject? Anyone doing so, and striving for a high quality image, will probably produce something similar to what came before.

If we take this idea to its logical conclusion, anyone wanting an image of something should go back and use the first one ever made of that subject. I guess we all better stay the heck outta Yosemite; Adams was already there...

ha..I just went to the zielke website and found this:
    http://www.zielske-photographie.de/f...anghai-005.jpg

this is my version from 2005:

they have nicer colours but we both choose to colour correct a warm, orange scene
    to a cool blueish tone. So who should sue who?