Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Glacier National Park Sept 17-24

Re: Glacier National Park Sept 17-24

Two Medicine lake http://www.photochimps.com/gallery/s...me=Jim%20Jones is a little off the beaten track, but can be worth the drive (not hike) at the right time.

I wouldn't worry too much about bear encounters. I have had several, sometimes at fairly close range. I consider them to be photo opportunities. Aggressive behavior does happen, but it is statistically pretty rare. You probably stand a higher chance of getting into a traffic accident.

As for hiking suggestions, my favorites are the Hidden Lake trail (sunrise is best), Grinnell Glacier trail, and Avalanche.

Back in 1999, I spent a week at Glacier. I think it was 9/5 through 9/9. I stayed in East Glacier and drove to various points within the park as well as made a side trip to Waterton Lakes in Canada. I recall many trails were closed due to reported pre-hibernation activity of bears. I spotted two black bears, fortunately at a distance, although one was close to the road on the way to Waterton Lakes. I carried bear bells and was travelling alone and I don't think I would do that again. One problem with bells is that on a couple of my hikes, there was so much wind noise. I doubt the bells would have been heard. It was particularly scary on the way to Apacuny falls. Wind was a problem for LF in many instances and I was glad I had my MF SLR in those circumstances. I recall it did get kind of chilly at night and I suppose that next week will be colder than the first week in September. I wish you luck. It was a wonderful trip for me and I hope you enjoy yourself as much as I did.
    Last edited by Robert A. Zeichner; 14-Sep-2006 at 15:49. Reason: a picture might be in order

If I was you I would contact Dave Parker of Satin Snow ground glass. He lives right by the park and know the area very well. Do a search on google for Satin Snow Ground Glass and you can contact him. He is also a member on APUG so you could PM him there also.

Last time I went to Glacier was in 2003. I had my own bear encounter during a day hike I took from Many Glacier area up swiftcurrent pass and back. I spent the entire day out on the trail hiking alone. Along the way I met other hikers and a ranger who told me about a grizzly with cubs in the area. Fortunately I never saw them and believe the other hikers spooked them out of the area. However as evening began to set in and the light was starting to fade I realized suddenly just how vulnerable I was alone out there. By this time there were no other hikers around and I had the trail all to myself. This was both exhilerating and a bit spooky too. I took the usual precautions of keeping my eyes open, making noise as I hiked along etc. As someone else mentioned when the wind picks up or you walk along a creek where the rushing water is making plenty of noise I got a bit jittery as I knew if a bear was around he'd might not notice my coming and the last thing you want to do is startle a grizzly. Anyway, I had maybe a mile or two left and at this point started to feel at ease again dispite the fading light because I was nearing the trailhead and a crowded camping area full of people. As I was hiking along a group of trees to my left a dark shape caught my attention from the corner of my eye. I didn't slow and just kept walking and turned my head to see what it was. At that moment I heard a ripping sound of vegetation being yanked from the ground and then a step later between the trees I saw this huge dark figure. At that moment I figured it was a moose since it was eating vegetation and I saw one in the area earlier that day. The next second I saw the animal raise it's head from the ground and maybe 15 feet away was a very large grizzly. There's no mistaking it when you see it that close. Fortunately nothing happened and I continued on, as briskly and quietly as I could. The bear either didn't notice me or didn't care but that didn't make me feel any better. After hiking some distance down the trail I then decided to pick up the pace and put more distance between me and the feeding bear. It was amazing how fast I could move with a heavy backpack full of supplies and 8x10 gear. I made sure I was well out of his eyesight before doing so. So my advice is no matter where you are in the park, especially when alone you need to always be on the look out because you never know when you might literally run into a bear. Secondly, although we landscape photographers love that late evening light, try and not be out too far on the trail come night fall. But there is also no reason to be fearful all the time while on the trail alone. Just read up on some good common sense bear encounter tips if you haven't already. If you can't except the fact that something could happen to you out there on the trail then maybe you shouldn't be there. For me that's what makes places like Glacier Park special, in addition to the wonderful scenery the eco-system is intact and we humans may not always be on the top of the food chain. And remember that although maulings happen at the park you are more likely to be hit by lightening then attacked by a grizzly.
    I don't have any places to advise you to go as I think just about anywhere you can't go wrong. But watch the wheather and something I read about and later experienced is that if one side of the park is cold and nasty you might consider driving over to the other side. One time it was icy cold, strong winds and thunderclouds abound. Decided not to make camp there, drove to the other side and it was like night and day. Calm, no wind and in the morning the lake was so still it was like glass. Enjoy your trip, I envy you!

5x5 with 4x5